Forumite

Used car buying advice

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Used car buying advice 2PlaneMan
    @planeman

Looking at a few cars tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I’ve not needed a car for years (more than 10) so I’m a bit rusty. I know the basics like checking the dipstick, tires, steering wheel, gear knob, wear to the interior and pedals.

It’s Skoda Citigo’s I’m looking at, all 3 years old, SE spec (all I need) and from a big car supermarket place near me.

I’m aware that the sales people at this place like to rush you and try and get you sign up for credit but I’ll be paying all in one go.

T.I.A

Viewing 20 replies - 401 through 420 (of 459 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Used car buying advice 3The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,396

It’s just a good job bhp has gone up. Today’s average cars are now quicker than 80s ferraris. And handle much better.

Participant
    Used car buying advice 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,353

it’s just a good job bhp has gone up. Today’s average cars are now quicker than 80s ferraris. And handle much better.

Yes that’s true Steve. Look at my little basic iX20: Motability gave a disabled, cranky, 74 yo petrol head something with 125bhp, twin cams, 16valves and expected him to pootle along at 30 mph in safety. Are they mad? ?

Used car buying advice 5

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,829

Bob, my new Swift has 138 BHP, and 170 lb/ft of torque. It weighs less than a VW Up! 975 KG IIRC.

Officially the 0-62 MPH is 8.1 seconds, a German (might have been Dutch) site clocked it at 7.5. Then they changed the front tyres for Michelin Pilot Sport and clocked 6.9.

The salesman went to the launch event, can’t recall where-somewhere warm like Spain, he reckoned the pre-production ones were even faster. The ECU has been dialled back a few notches. This fits with my research.

Anyway, I can’t wait to get it.  I’ts been my goal since I needed a car and I’m keeping this one for a good few years.

Steve, the Superb is a cracking motor, as you say they are massive. Just make sure you don’t get mistaken for a mini- cab or a Uber, loads of 2-5 year old ones around here being used as them.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

That is a fine motor.

How would it go in Auto box version Nolan?

I'm out.

Participant
    @planeman

Bob, apparently the autos in the normal Swift, 1 litre turbo, you have to really learn how they drive.

Don’t think you can get a Swift Sport with an auto in the UK, they do them for markets like Australia so it might be a very special order type thing.

Participant
    @planeman

Done more digging and according to a company in Somerset that tunes Swifts the Swift Sport actually produces 150-155 BHP as tested on a dyno.???

After a £400 ecu remap it can be 165-170.

Participant
    @sgb101

Should be a little cracker. But I wouldn’t bother with the remap. It will be hardly noticeable. 155bhp will be more then enough for it.

Participant
    @planeman

I’m not bothering with the remap, would void the warranty.

Skint now anyway.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

Nolan, a mate of my son had a 2018 Fiesta ST, had it remapped and customised, wrapped it around a tree, write-off. Applied for insurance and refused on the grounds that he did not declare all the mod’s. Now he faces paying off a humongous amount of cash each month for a car he doesn’t have. Plus he has injuries that put him out of work, lost his job and facing a Drink Drive charge. That is a lot of Unintentional Consequences.

Steve is right: the slight increase in performance would not be worth the increased insurance premium.

I'm out.

Participant
    @planeman

Bob, that’s a sorry tale but if he was drink driving then deserved.

Picked the car up this afternoon and apart from a bit of a faff with the VED no issues. Very happy with it, goes very nicely and handles superbly.

The VED on the invoice was put down as £120, not the £145 it should have been. That either meant re-doing all the paperwork (a few hours, no idea why it would take that long but there we go) or a work around and a trip to the Post Office for the salesman. The latter was the option chosen. As a bonus I hadn’t noticed the VED was part of the overall cost so minus the £25 I had to pay to make it up to £145 I’m £120 better off. ?

I also managed to remove the little plastic retainer clips for the drivers floor mat, I was convinced they would break. That means I can use the official mats I have already. Another £55 saving. ?

Used car buying advice 14

Participant
    Used car buying advice 15JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,012

Looking very smart!! I thought there were some scuff marks on the bonnet and front panel, but it’s clouds, reflected in the nice shine!!

Have fun!!

Participant
    @planeman

Thanks JCD.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

Oooooo Shiny!??

Great colour Nolan, very nice Midnight Blue that does not always come off, most manufacturers make it look an insipid Navy Blue. I wouldn’t have another black car, but that is nice.

When I signed up for the Tucson, I was conned persuaded into buying the factory mats and boot mat. When I changed to the iX20, I bought mats from Ebay, came from Poland, fit perfectly, cost much less and clean up easier. Still got these heavy Tucson carpets. can’t sell them except to people who want them posted. They are so large and heavy that the P&P would be more than the carpets are worth.

I'm out.

Participant
    @planeman

Thanks Bob.

The mats I have are the official Suzuki ones, when I got my 2017 Swift I enquired at the dealer how much the mats where. £138.

Found an online retailer who wanted £50+£5 for P+P, for exactly the same ones. They were delivered next day along with a little rubber mat insert for the super shiny and slippery phone shelf. £4 and no hunting for the phone after every burst of acceleration.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

So we both learned a lesson: don’t accept the manufacturer prices.?

I ought to have known that, with my motor trade background.??

I'm out.

Participant
    @sgb101

I always go on ebay and get my mats, usally a third of the price, just as good quality, if not better, plus you get to pic your design.

I usally go for less is more. With the offical badges for my spec.

Rule of thumb, Just don’t be temped to get the 20 quid ones, opt for the 40 to 50 quid ones. As the cheap ones won’t last a year, as they are thin and single layered. My lady ones got 40k out of them before the tope layer of the two worn where my right heal sits. That’s not bad at all.

Nice motor PM mine is a deep dark colour, I said I wouldn’t get another due to them being a bitch to keep clean for longer than an hour. But I love a dark colour.

Old

Used car buying advice 21

New

Used car buying advice 22

Participant
    @planeman

Thanks Steve.

Tried out some of the new toys and the adaptive cruise control works very well but not gone very far using it yet.

The g-force meter, torque and power being generated, acceleration and braking levels can be displayed on the drivers display and they are great fun. For 20 minutes.  Then it gets switched back to the current mpg, mileage and average mpg display. It’s nice they are there but they should be displayed on the infotainment screen so the passengers can see it and the driver can drive.

The lane assist and anti collision braking are a bit odd. The anti collision braking has flashed a warning and chimed when I’ve passed parked cars with plenty of space to spare and even went off when a pedestrian walked in the front of the car when the handbrake was on.  Lane assist sometimes flashes and chimes when you change lanes without indicating and sometimes doesn’t.  I was aware that they are less than perfect so it’s no big deal. I wouldn’t rely on them anyway but they are nice to have as a bit of a safety net.

Other than that I’m chuffed with it, the ride is better than my 2017 Swift and I’ve got used to the 6 speed box.

Participant
    @sgb101

Collision breaking is good. Mine has saved me twice reversing.

It does like to jump in early, reversing off the hill car parking space, out side my chemist always triggers an emeragy stop, it thinks the road at about 30degrees is a wall. Scares me every time.

Participant
    @planeman

Steve, you need the rear parking sensors for the anti collision braking to work in reverse, I just have a parking camera.

I know that the sensors can be retro fitted so when I have some £££ saved up again I might enquire about the cost of having them fitted.

Participant
    @sgb101

I’d always go sensors over camera. I can’t get use to the camera. Much prefer the beeps. The viewing angles just never feel right for me. Also looking forwards whle going backwards just doesn’t fit well with me.

Viewing 20 replies - 401 through 420 (of 459 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.