Forumite

Used car buying advice

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Used car buying advice 2PlaneMan
    @planeman

Looking at a few cars tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I’ve not needed a car for years (more than 10) so I’m a bit rusty. I know the basics like checking the dipstick, tires, steering wheel, gear knob, wear to the interior and pedals.

It’s Skoda Citigo’s I’m looking at, all 3 years old, SE spec (all I need) and from a big car supermarket place near me.

I’m aware that the sales people at this place like to rush you and try and get you sign up for credit but I’ll be paying all in one go.

T.I.A

Viewing 20 replies - 61 through 80 (of 459 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,970

Picked it up this morning and I get more impressed with every mile. The handling is superb, it goes around corners like the original Mini and the original Ka did. All the controls are well placed and just work, the music system is much better than I thought it would be, 6 speakers in a little car is lovely for sound reproduction.

The USB port is well placed, out of the way enough so it can’t get bumped but not hard to get to. Door bins don’t look like much but are large and have designated water bottle holders. Boot is much bigger than it looks. And to top it all off I found one of the Lego Top Gear Stig key rings that I bought a load of for pennies each and sold them on, to go on the key. Still have a few left as well.

In short I’m happy. ?

Participant
    Used car buying advice 4The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,460

Glad your liking it pm, I’ve never drove one, but only hear good things, and I like the look of the swift.

Hopefully lots of fun filled miles ahead.

The new vitara is looking a good buy to. As long as you don’t go for top spec, too expensive for what you get, and it puts you in the price range of better cars. But I do love the look of the new vitara, like a mini range rover.

Participant
    @planeman

It’s an honest little car, if that makes sense.

It’s not pretending  to be a full bore hot hatch while having no power , which is what all the manufacturers are doing these days. Ford has the ST line, looks the part but is mostly harsher and lots more money than a bog standard car and anyone that cares will know it’s not the real thing.

As my mother’s fella would say ‘fur coat and no knickers’ .

Of course it’s no rocket (less than 100 bhp) but around town and on twisty roads it’s a laugh. It suffers a little on motorways if your in fifth and drop below about 55, it pulls ok but not very quickly. Once back up to about 60 it finds the torque again and starts to get back into it’s stride. OFC dropping to fourth and giving it a quick squirt solves that problem but I won’t be doing that often.

Next question is breakdown cover, I won’t regularly be going far at all, mostly less than 20 miles from my place but I need a good service, especially as I’d struggle to change a wheel now. RAC and AA do a priority service for blue badge holders but they aren’t cheap (upfront, not bad after the almost 50% cashback available).  Any thoughts anyone?

Participant
    @sgb101

For breakdown do a go compare search or the other one. There are loads of services out there that piggyback off RAC and AA, at a fraction of the cost.

Yes I get an honest car, that’s why I liked the Sil’s freelander better over the BiL BMW X5. The X5 is no question a better car, but the freelander is not trying to be something or make a statement. He now has a nivara with I prefer to the X5, again it’s just “honest”

I also get what you mean about “ST trim” and not having the bhp, the corsa is the same, looks like a rocket, but houses a 3cy 1litre power plant. Which is a great engine BTW (both Fords and Vx) but its not quite up to hot hatch lookalike standards. But good for kids that want a nice looking car, and don’t want to pay £10k to insure a fiesta St200 or a corsa vxr

The worst in my opinion is AMG, that once ment a stupid engine and a bad kit. Now you can get the bodykit with a 2l diesel engine. WHY OH WHY! well I know why, they are chasing the money, but diluting the brand. ?

Participant
    Used car buying advice 7Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,443

Steve that’s similar to something I mentioned earlier: BMW buyers with not enough money to go for top spec, buying a low spec model and removing badges. If it’s a Beamer it must be fast, right? Wish I had a tenner, for every BMW (and others) that I pass or leave behind, uphill on the Wolds around here. Both the C-Max and now the Tucson diesels just keep pulling and pulling, whilst the pretenders cough and slow down. They invariably take it as an insult and try to catch me on the straight after the roundabout. I keep them behind until the last bend, where the camera lurks, then slow down and give them the satisfaction of passing, followed by the sight of their brake lights as I emerge from the bend at 50 in a 60 limit.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    @planeman

Left the car at home today as it’s Sunday and that means a few down the legion.

Before I got that far mum mentioned that the hot water wasn’t working. Hauled myself into the attic to check the boiler (lots of very quiet swearing and moaning as it’s awkward enough if you don’t have arthritis) only to find there was no pressure in the boiler. Down to see the supplier at opening time meant driving my mothers Captur.

What a funny experience. The gearchange felt baggy, the steering ‘loose’ and the brakes ‘grabby’ . The engine also feels very slow to rev. Last time I drove it was Saturday before I picked my Swift up! It’s almost exactly 2 1/2 years younger than the Swift and has been maintained immaculately.  I check it every month, service history is perfect and it needs 2 front tyres soon.

I’m genuinely shocked, it all felt fine to me before the Swift.  It’s blatant to me that the precision needed for motor bikes and the free revving also more common on bikes has filtered through to the Suzuki car division. I’m a convert.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

That’s interesting Nolan. I felt similarly about the first Honda car I drove: one of the first Civics, in the late 70’s. I was servicing it for a customer. Opening the bonnet, I was struck by the 1.2 (1170 I think) engine. Looked very much like a bike engine. Transverse, made to compete with the Mini, although it was ahead of it in many ways and the radio was not an Extra! Road-tested it: light and felt quick on the road, very free-revving. The evolution of the Civic car has done nothing for it IMO.

I'm out.

Participant
    @sgb101

Bloody Honda. If it wasn’t for them there would be no brexit!

Participant
    @bullstuff2

Bloody Honda. If it wasn’t for them there would be no brexit!

Used car buying advice 12OK Steve, why blame Honda for Brexit? I’m falling for this one, somebody had to ask!

I'm out.

Participant
    @sgb101

Hehehe

Well… If the Japanese didn’t come over here with their fancy cars that started every time (pft), we would still have our “great” car industry, and would not of needed to join the eec. So therefore we wouldn’t be leaving.

Simple logic really ?

It’s the Japs fault, all of it. ??

Participant
    @bullstuff2

??Know you mean that this way Steve,   ?  but: –

The “great British car industry”, and Honda:

Rover and Honda had a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ which included both using Pressed Steel Fisher for the vehicle bodies. That’s why a lot of Rovers had the same bodies as many Hondas. Then along came BMW to offer Rover a marriage and off went Rover with the new German groom. Honda being an “honourable” company in the Japanese mould, saw this as an insult upon their honour and promptly bought PSF 100%. Think the BMW deal included buying the Mini name at that time, not sure about that though, may be another, later deal.

The Rover 800 series had been named “Most beautiful car in the World” by the prestigious Italian motoring press and sales began to affect the Beamers. So BMW and ZF decided that their gearboxes were in short supply and had none to spare for the 800 series. Rover could not afford to develop their own gearbox. At the same time, Rover management was doing what British management often did: being incompetent and behaving like ostriches. The Rover company died. Honda continues to sell cars all over the world. Japanese (and now Korean ☺) cars succeeded then and now, because they offer more for less.

I'm out.

Participant
    @planeman

The extended warranty just turned up and it includes AA home start and roadside assistance cover! No mention of that when doing the negotiations. ?        I’ll email them and let them know I’m a blue badge holder.

All I need to do now is get the correct registration  number on the documents………..

The VIN number is correct.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

That’s a good deal, Nolan.

I'm out.

Participant
    @planeman

A week in and it amazes everyone.

Swift is the perfect name, it’s not outright fast but the way it corners is hilarious, the conditions would have to be terrible or the driver a AAA plum to go off on a corner in it.

In normal driving I hardly get over 2500 rpm because of traffic and the trip computer is showing 54.1 MPG for the week. I don’t think that’s right but time will tell. Less than a quarter of a tank used since brimming it last week but if it’s anything like the gauge on a Captur the last quarter drops like an insurance fraud banger of a cliff.

Very happy still. ?

Participant
    @bullstuff2

The ‘distance to empty’ feature of any car trip computer, is the most inaccurate feature, IMO. Unless your Bentleys, Ferarris and Astons etc. have some wonderful tech that is accurate to the last mile and last millilitre, every car I have had with one of these has been (literally) miles out. Watch it if you can as you drive: it jumps around like the FTSE did, for 48 hours after the Brexit result. It is continually adjusting for tank contents, acceleration/deceleration, engine load, engine temp’s, air temp and all the other factors that the car’s computer has to measure. The stuff in the tank, for instance, is sloshing about and affecting the sender unit as you accelerate, decelerate, go up and down inclines and around bends.

When you come to a halt and switch off, it has to catch up. I have quite often seen my display (on several cars) settle and show more miles left than when I started a shortish journey! When I switch back on again, it changes to something more believable, but not necessarily accurate. Reminds me of the old sailors of sailing ships, who dropped a stone covered in soap over the side, to judge depth by the knots in the rope. The soap stuck to the seabed and showed what the seabed consisted of. Fuel trips are about as accurate as that, maybe less so!

But you are obviously happy with your new motor Nolan, have some happy motoring.?

I'm out.

Participant
    @sgb101

My trip computer is a off by a big margin. It reads  38mpg average, but I track my miles with an app and I’m actually getting 32mpg. If I do alot of motorway driving I’ll get 40mpg. But my norm is 32mpg, between full ups.

However I rarely go under 2500rpm?

Though around 55mpg sounds about right in that car, unlike a deisel that small petrol will perform around town, and suck economy wise when you need to push it on the motorway, or worse the car country lanes. Though mine never gets above 12mpg (on the trip, so probably 8 in reality) when I get to play in the lanes, when it goes dark. Dark cos that’s where I am you can see oncoming cars. I drive sensible in the day time. But still the mpg isn’t good.

I use Fuelio app to monitor my miles. It’s very good.

Participant
    @planeman

Thanks the app info, I will give it a go.

Participant
    @planeman

Got some bits delivered today, a fitted rubber boot liner, about an inch deep, fits almost perfectly in the boot (almost as it was rolled up when delivered, no doubt it’ll be even better when it’s ‘relaxed’) and some locking wheel nuts. I could have done the wheel nuts myself but it would have taken me hours so I went to a local tyre place. Saw the same bloke when I was there last week getting some tyres on behalf on my mum on her Captur, 5 minutes and £5, job done. Got home and my new windscreen wipers were delivered, £13 for a pair of Bosch jobs from ebay. Halfords wanted £27!

The mpg has gone down from 54.1 to 54, I reckon it’ll go down to about 45 odd. Time will tell as the overall mpg will be skewed a fair bit in about a month as I’ll be over to Bristol Airport and back  a few times and lots of longer journeys than normal.

Still loving the little Suzuki though.

Participant
    Used car buying advice 22Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 2,700

Another recommendation for Fuelio. Not sure what it’ll be like when I get my GTE Golf (which is apparently in the factory in the minute) as I don’t know how easy it’ll be to factor in the electric charging items.

Participant
    @sgb101

I doubt it will factor in electric prices per watt a long with fuel price. There maybe an app out there. If not, there may be a whole in the market for one.

You would have to get the total pence per mile figure, then add on the price of you electric fill ups. The add that to your pence per mile figure,  For a true reading.

If you have a smart meter, it would be as easy as seeing how much extra the car ‘sucks’ from the wall over the time it’s plugged in.

Though I bet it doesn’t charge at a steady rate, It will likly slow down for the last 20%. so it may be a hard one to trully monitor, and gain an exact figure.

You’d be better forgetting  the electric cost, and just use the standard mpg. Though an mpg figure and electric cost figure, both separate  and combined would be Interesting  reading.

Viewing 20 replies - 61 through 80 (of 459 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.