Other Stuff Used car buying advice

This topic contains 96 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by PlaneMan 1 month ago. This post has been viewed 2173 times

Viewing 9 posts - 73 through 81 (of 97 total)
  • Author

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman
      Forumite Coins: 212

The extended warranty just turned up and it includes AA home start and roadside assistance cover! No mention of that when doing the negotiations. 😀        I’ll email them and let them know I’m a blue badge holder.

All I need to do now is get the correct registration  number on the documents………..

The VIN number is correct.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1412
    • @bullstuff2
      Forumite Coins: 298

That’s a good deal, Nolan.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman

A week in and it amazes everyone.

Swift is the perfect name, it’s not outright fast but the way it corners is hilarious, the conditions would have to be terrible or the driver a AAA plum to go off on a corner in it.

In normal driving I hardly get over 2500 rpm because of traffic and the trip computer is showing 54.1 MPG for the week. I don’t think that’s right but time will tell. Less than a quarter of a tank used since brimming it last week but if it’s anything like the gauge on a Captur the last quarter drops like an insurance fraud banger of a cliff.

Very happy still. 😀

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1412
    • @bullstuff2
      Forumite Coins: 298

The ‘distance to empty’ feature of any car trip computer, is the most inaccurate feature, IMO. Unless your Bentleys, Ferarris and Astons etc. have some wonderful tech that is accurate to the last mile and last millilitre, every car I have had with one of these has been (literally) miles out. Watch it if you can as you drive: it jumps around like the FTSE did, for 48 hours after the Brexit result. It is continually adjusting for tank contents, acceleration/deceleration, engine load, engine temp’s, air temp and all the other factors that the car’s computer has to measure. The stuff in the tank, for instance, is sloshing about and affecting the sender unit as you accelerate, decelerate, go up and down inclines and around bends.

When you come to a halt and switch off, it has to catch up. I have quite often seen my display (on several cars) settle and show more miles left than when I started a shortish journey! When I switch back on again, it changes to something more believable, but not necessarily accurate. Reminds me of the old sailors of sailing ships, who dropped a stone covered in soap over the side, to judge depth by the knots in the rope. The soap stuck to the seabed and showed what the seabed consisted of. Fuel trips are about as accurate as that, maybe less so!

But you are obviously happy with your new motor Nolan, have some happy motoring.😀

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

My trip computer is a off by a big margin. It reads  38mpg average, but I track my miles with an app and I’m actually getting 32mpg. If I do alot of motorway driving I’ll get 40mpg. But my norm is 32mpg, between full ups.

However I rarely go under 2500rpm😜

Though around 55mpg sounds about right in that car, unlike a deisel that small petrol will perform around town, and suck economy wise when you need to push it on the motorway, or worse the car country lanes. Though mine never gets above 12mpg (on the trip, so probably 8 in reality) when I get to play in the lanes, when it goes dark. Dark cos that’s where I am you can see oncoming cars. I drive sensible in the day time. But still the mpg isn’t good.

I use Fuelio app to monitor my miles. It’s very good.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman

Thanks the app info, I will give it a go.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman

Got some bits delivered today, a fitted rubber boot liner, about an inch deep, fits almost perfectly in the boot (almost as it was rolled up when delivered, no doubt it’ll be even better when it’s ‘relaxed’) and some locking wheel nuts. I could have done the wheel nuts myself but it would have taken me hours so I went to a local tyre place. Saw the same bloke when I was there last week getting some tyres on behalf on my mum on her Captur, 5 minutes and £5, job done. Got home and my new windscreen wipers were delivered, £13 for a pair of Bosch jobs from ebay. Halfords wanted £27!

The mpg has gone down from 54.1 to 54, I reckon it’ll go down to about 45 odd. Time will tell as the overall mpg will be skewed a fair bit in about a month as I’ll be over to Bristol Airport and back  a few times and lots of longer journeys than normal.

Still loving the little Suzuki though.

Drezha
    Participant
    • Total Posts 312
    • @drezha
      Forumite Coins: 102

Another recommendation for Fuelio. Not sure what it’ll be like when I get my GTE Golf (which is apparently in the factory in the minute) as I don’t know how easy it’ll be to factor in the electric charging items.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

I doubt it will factor in electric prices per watt a long with fuel price. There maybe an app out there. If not, there may be a whole in the market for one.

You would have to get the total pence per mile figure, then add on the price of you electric fill ups. The add that to your pence per mile figure,  For a true reading.

If you have a smart meter, it would be as easy as seeing how much extra the car ‘sucks’ from the wall over the time it’s plugged in.

Though I bet it doesn’t charge at a steady rate, It will likly slow down for the last 20%. so it may be a hard one to trully monitor, and gain an exact figure.

You’d be better forgetting  the electric cost, and just use the standard mpg. Though an mpg figure and electric cost figure, both separate  and combined would be Interesting  reading.

Viewing 9 posts - 73 through 81 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 2
JayCeeDee, Sawboman
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,318, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm