Forumite

Very cheap 4k graphics card?

Tagged: , ,

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon

Our TV just packed in, but thanks to Top cashback, we had some ‘free*’ money in the account. I bought a refurbished Toshiba as a replacement, and it’s 4K. I’m happy with the TV, but I didn’t realise that I’d need a decent graphics card for 4K,  even for bog standard 2d graphics. Pretty disappointing considering that basic graphics cards in the late 90’s could output 2048 * 2048.

Anyway… While a gaming card would be nice at some point in the future, can anyone recommend a cheap card that will let me watch 4K TV and films, and maybe run some low end games please? I’m thinking the Overlord games, and maybe some of the Lego games, or whatever else I can play with Alice on my lap and an Xbox 360 controller.

It’s not something particularly urgent, but it would be nice to be able to take advantage of the higher resolution :)

*I know it’s not actually free, but it’s money that I wouldn’t have otherwise had :)

Viewing 5 replies - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 4,093

It feels very strange these days, as my main system is several generations behind, and realistically that’s the one that should be the server now. My gaming graphics card doesn’t (which is probably good, as I can’t keep up), and the younger version of me from 15 years ago would be hanging his head in shame, while eating a Pot Noodle sandwich and throwing every penny from his crappy job into new parts ?

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon

Just in case anyone had been wondering, I bought a cheap Quadro K2000 recently through Ebay. I’ve been ill, so only set it up last night. I used the DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor that I found earlier in the thread, but couldn’t get anything over 1920 x 1080. I eventually set up a custom resolution to get the card’s maximum of 3840 x 2160.

Things didn’t seem right, like the text inside the nvidia control panel, and the Ultra VNC window from my laptop, so I’ve been checking things out, and it turns out that the adaptor only supports up to 1080p, and the Amazon page has been changed in the meantime to reflect it (it showed 4K support when I originally found it). P*ssed off is an understatement!

I can’t decide now whether to get another adaptor, or put the Quadro in my main desktop to use with Photoshop and maybe 3d software (I’ve been thinking about teaching myself).

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,966

Did you know…

If your display port is dual mode (usually marked as DP++) then you can use a passive adapter.

Or so I’m told 😁

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,303

“I’ve been thinking about teaching myself (3D software)”

PM Dan – Opensource Blender is the way to go, lots of free resources. I wish I could help point you in the right direction, but I seem to have a mental block in moving from the way my old (expensive) software works to the very different way Blender works. Dan knows the best approach to use.

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon

Oh, don’t worry, Dan’s going to get lots of questions! :D

Viewing 5 replies - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.