Forumite General Topics Tech PC Talk Video Editing laptop

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
      @grahamdearsley
      Forumite Points: 4

I was actually surprised at how little the surface pro runs in the background, straight out of the box, seeing as its a tablet with a touch screen.

Infact about the only thing that does launch on start up is the pen input service but that uses 0% CPU time if you don’t have a pen attached.

Dave Rice
      Participant
        @ricedg
        Forumite Points: 7

I noticed that U20.10 uses the latest Linux 5.8 kernel that has more Comet Lake tweaks. However Phoronix did their usual top notch testing using a Comet Lake system and the verdict is stick with 20.04.1 LTS.

Wheels-Of-Fire
        Participant
          @grahamdearsley

I just ran the Geekbench OpenCL test again on my desktop with a Radeon RX480, the score was 41837 !

So it looks like any rendering app that uses the GPU is going to gain a HUGE advantage 😃

PlaneMan
          Participant
            @planeman
            Forumite Points: 200

I’ve tried Geekbanch on Mint and the results are random. Ranging from 500 single core/1068 multi to 1116 single/1998 multi.

I have no idea what’s going on but it seems like Geekbench doesn’t like the new rig. :negative: :unsure:

Just about to try some rendering so will report back when that’s done.

Wheels-Of-Fire
            Participant
              @grahamdearsley

That really is the only way to do it, run the apps you are going to use and see what happens 😁

PlaneMan
              Participant
                @planeman

WOF, that’s what the plan is.

Ed P
                Participant
                  @edps
                  Forumite Points: 39

WOF, typically hardware rendering on the GPU gives a massive speed-up. Checking out FFMPG (which is used by both Openshot and KDEnlive) there is a hardware rendering option link.

In KDEnlive this is just a check the box configuration option, and if the hardware acceleration is not available it will tell you so. I suspect that Openshot will behave in a similar fashion.

However it would not surprise me if this is not available on a laptop due to cooling constraints.

Wheels-Of-Fire
                  Participant
                    @grahamdearsley

Thanks for that Ed, I had a look.

I doesn’t look like the Cinebench R20 benchmark uses GPU acceleration at all.

My desktop with Core i7 990X and RX480 scores 1604 and the Surface pro with i5 and iris plus graphics gets 1565.

PlaneMan
                    Participant
                      @planeman

Spent most of the afternoon trying to gigure out what’s going on with video rendering, kdenlive was showing 5 hours to render the clip.  :negative:

OpenShot wouldn’t use anything apart from Ogg. :wacko:

Got fed up and re-installed Mint and started from scratch. Kdenlive rendered it using the 4K H265 preset in 30.64. Considering the file size (less than an eighth of the original, 8GB to 965MB) I’m happy with that.

OpenShot can’t use any hardware acceleration so is SLOW and runs the rig full pelt all the time. It gets toasty.

If I can’t get OpenShot to use hardware acceleration then I’m going to have to wrap my head around kdenlive,it seems to be more powerful than OpenShot but also more confusing, for me anyway.

Geekbench scores were still all over the place.

Head hurts now. 🙁

Ed P
                      Participant
                        @edps

I’m by no means an expert with kdenlive, and I’ll agree it can be as confusing as hell. Rather than confuse you with my own idiosyncrasies I think it best to refer you to The Manual. While you can get away with bumbling around between the project and tools tabs, the one area I find really confusing is adding effects, and I think the page  for that section is essential!

PlaneMan
                        Participant
                          @planeman

Thanks for that Ed.

The Duke
                          Participant
                            @sgb101
                            Forumite Points: 5

iPad pro is a great editing Machine . I think the new air is just as good.

keith with the teef
                            Participant
                              @thinktank
                              Forumite Points: 0

Some good links lads and useful. :good:

PlaneMan
                              Participant
                                @planeman

After a few days of messing around I’ve come to some conclusions.

OpenShot does animated titles brilliantly, thanks to Blender. There are some available, maybe 15, and you can tweak them a bit.

KdenLive is more stable and I’m getting my head around how it works. So for now I’m using OpenShot for the titles, rendering them to the resolution I’m going to use on the final video and importing  that   to KdenLive.

I think I’m doing OK but I’m also aware that my autistic traits are creeping in, 4 hours today before I moved. Ignored the pain from all over my body and was focused on getting a 30 second clip just right. Which maybe 0.005 % of the worlds population would notice. :negative:

At some stage I’d like to get my head around Blender so I can make custom titles and animations, can’t cope with that right now.

When I have some spare £ (E2Save owe my a ton, getting it is like trying to get blood out of gravel) I may well invest in some proper Chromakey backgrounds, been messing about with it today and everything need to be so smooth.

Ed P
                                Participant
                                  @edps

I wish I could get my head around Blender! :scratch:   I’m afraid that by beating Blender’s own idiosyncratic modelling path my ingrained habits for using all the mainstream commercial modellers gets in the way.

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping