Forumite

W10 2004 version update trouble

• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by W10 2004 version update trouble 1Ed P.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    W10 2004 version update trouble 2Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

The 2004 version update seems to have completely stuffed my mum’s PC. Memory usage now sits at 67% minimum and it would appear that the system is now ignoring the page file.

The system can’t find enough memory to open Windows Live Mail and an email at the same time (a message says I may be low on disc space) and printing is out of the question from any app.

I can watch Windows frantically closing tasks trying to find more RAM but it never gets enough to put anything in the print queue.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    W10 2004 version update trouble 3JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,203

Am I the only one who looks at W10 2004 and immediately thinks it’s out of date. The first time I saw it, I did a double take. It only made sense when I thought back to 1903 and 1909 from March and September last year!!

Bloody American dates!!! :wacko:

Participant
    W10 2004 version update trouble 4Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,933

Have you used Task Manager to see what is consuming all the memory? It just may be an over-zealous AV software checking out every changed bit. Kaspersky went wild on my main mobo following 2004 and was eating 60% all on its own, it is now back down to around 4%.

Participant
    W10 2004 version update trouble 5Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,754

Not had any issues yet on 20 ish PCs of all sorts.

Participant
    W10 2004 version update trouble 6Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,970

It won’t install here. It tried on my main machine and crashed, then automatically rolled back, and hasn’t even tried on anything else. It’s got the pending message on them all, but hasn’t gone any further.

Participant
    W10 2004 version update trouble 7Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,784

13 out of the 14 machines I maintain have installed it with no problems. The other one (Asus i5-4200U Haswell ULT) is still showing “on the way”

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,794

I removed all the AV stuff after the update including running AVG clean up, just Windows Defender left. Still a large lack of memory. At Butlins Bognor at the moment, will have another look when I get back.

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

The Windows Defender anti malware scanner was using a load of memory and CPU time but it has settled down now. I can print again but it looks like I will finally have to give up on Windows Live Mail because it still says “low memory, check disk space” when I try to open a message.

Participant
    @edps

It appears that M$ have been slowly switching off the lights on Windows Live Mail. link.

If you need to store your POP mail, you may need to switch to a different program. Thunderbird is pretty good if you install a few addons such as import/export.

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Yeh I read that post last week, they discontinued all of the non mail features like calender and online photo galleries months ago.

The reason for still using it was that my mum had finally got the hang of it, she is not great with computers. I tried to get her to login to her Hotmail with a browser but Microsoft keep changing the layout and it confuses her.

Live mail always looked the same, largely because they were NOT updating it. Oh well.

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I have also been trying for months to get mum used to W10 Mail but she has trouble finding what she wants in it, and I can’t blame her, why would the print page option be hidden under 3 dots ?, its not exactly obvious for anyone who doesn’t use other WUP apps. She also keeps loosing access to her mail folders because she expands the mail message pane, the option to shrink it again is hidden under 3 lines, again not obvious.

Participant
    @edps

Confusion with symbols often comes because we do not have words for them. (try learning mah-jong tiles without having English words for the symbols.) You could try telling her that the word or sentence for the three dots is ‘continued’ or ‘Press to continue’.

Iirc Americans call it an ellipsis or  ‘hamburger’ but to me that is equally meaningless in a menu!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.