Forumite Forums General Topics Tech Windows Talk W10 wooopsie! The sequel!

• Creator
    Topic
    dwynnehugh
    Participant

Right I have by now resolved the original issue with my Uncle’s PC – used the WD Diagnostic tools and the short test indicated ‘too many bad sectors’ – ran the extended test and all is now OK, back as it was – no bad sectors noted. Probably re-allocated them!!

To get t0 this point I tried various things – not wishing to simply format the HDD and either re-load W7 and convert to W10 using the MC Tool – so remembering that I had a AOMEI backup copy of the original W7 install – I decided to try that initially – to reinstall W7 backup over W10. Checked the back up copy on another PC – it read the details on the external HDD OK.

Ran AOMEI from the DVD on my Uncle’s PC  and looked for the folder with the relevant b/up copies thereon – nothing!  Couldn’t find the ext HDD!

Hmmmm – re-connected the ext HDD to my PC – message “You need to format this drive before use” – tried several times – same message.

Today re-installed the ‘repaired’ HDD back in my Uncle’s PC – works OK no problems – thought why not use a live Ubuntu CD to read the ext HDD or at least see what it could do?  Got the live Ubuntu CD up and running on the desktop – saw both HDDs – tried to open the ‘C’ – no joy – double clicked on the desktop icon, left mouse click on the ‘C’ drive and ‘open’ – nothing, double clicked on it – nothing!!

Can anyone give me an explanation for this – why can’t I open the ‘C’ drive (which I know works because it loads W10) in Ubuntu and what the h**l has happened to my ext HDD with all my backups on? I accept the ext HDD might just have failed – it wasn’t new when I started using it.

Any suggestions, ideas would be a great way forward for me to understand what possibly I did or went wrong.

Thanks,  dave

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dwynnehugh
      Participant

Right I have by now resolved the original issue with my Uncle’s PC – used the WD Diagnostic tools and the short test indicated ‘too many bad sectors’ – ran the extended test and all is now OK, back as it was – no bad sectors noted. Probably re-allocated them!! To get t0 this point I tried various things – not wishing to simply format the HDD and either re-load W7 and convert to W10 using the MC Tool – so remembering that I had a AOMEI backup copy of the original W7 install – I decided to try that initially – to reinstall W7 backup over W10. Checked the back up copy on another PC – it read the details on the external HDD OK. Ran AOMEI from the DVD on my Uncle’s PC and looked for the folder with the relevant b/up copies thereon – nothing! Couldn’t find the ext HDD! Hmmmm – re-connected the ext HDD to my PC – message “You need to format this drive before use” – tried several times – same message. Today re-installed the ‘repaired’ HDD back in my Uncle’s PC – works OK no problems – thought why not use a live Ubuntu CD to read the ext HDD or at least see what it could do? Got the live Ubuntu CD up and running on the desktop – saw both HDDs – tried to open the ‘C’ – no joy – double clicked on the desktop icon, left mouse click on the ‘C’ drive and ‘open’ – nothing, double clicked on it – nothing!! Can anyone give me an explanation for this – why can’t I open the ‘C’ drive (which I know works because it loads W10) in Ubuntu and what the h**l has happened to my ext HDD with all my backups on? I accept the ext HDD might just have failed – it wasn’t new when I started using it. Any suggestions, ideas would be a great way forward for me to understand what possibly I did or went wrong. Thanks, Dave

Just tried Ububtu again and got the message that it was unable to mount the drive.

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

dwynnehugh
        Participant

Don’t know what went wrong but I was unable to EDIT my original post for the last sentence.

Dave Rice
          Participant

Ubuntu will not mount a Windows NTFS drive that’s in a hibernated state.

Windows 10 does not shut right down if you have fast start enabled (which it is by default), the kernel enters a hibernated state. That’s what makes it boot so quickly. It’s called a Hybrid Shutdown.

Ubuntu will also not mount a drive that’s “dirty” either. The dirty flag is set when Windows boots and only cleared when it shuts down, so if you just pulled the plug you’d get around the hibernation issue but run straight into the dirty flag issue.

You can disable Fast Start entirely, but that’s a cut your nose off to spite your face job. There are a couple of ways of doing a one off full shutdown. At a cmd prompt type “shutdown /s /f /t 0” (Hybrid would be “shutdown /s /hybrid /t 0”). That’s a zero at the end as /t means shutdown in X seconds and we want it to be immediate. The /f forces applications to close.

If you hold a shift key down whilst clicking on Start – Power – Shutdown it should do the same.

EDIT was that worth a pint of Unicorn?

dwynnehugh
            Participant

Thanks Dave – however I suspect it is a duff HDD – just taken it out of the caddy and used Sharkoon to read it direct  via USB – had a response that it needed formatting, so nothing to lose – I told it to format it.

Next response that it was not possible to format the drive and that’s via my W7 system. It is a Hitachi ‘Deathstar’ dating from 2011 so I suppose it’s done its allocated time.

Thanks for the info on W10 and Ubuntu, will have a go later on.

Dave

Yes it was worth the pint of Unicorn!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
            Forumite