Forumite

W7 or W10

HOME Forums Tech Software Talk W7 or W10

This topic contains 40 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 2 days, 21 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

oldtimer
    Participant
    @oldtimer

Hi all.

Been away for a while enjoying the comforts of the NHS. Recently I was reading an article that implied it was still possible to upgrade from W7 to W20 for FREE but there was a window of only a few weeks.

Is this really possible and if so how do I go about it?

I have four PCs running W7 and two still running XP (blame SWMBO).

It would also appear that W10 is plagued with update problems and I do not want any hassle at my age.

My plan was to go over to a basic Linux distro since I really could manage with that now if push came to shove. But if I can upgrade to W10 then it might be better to grab it whilst I can.

So perhaps I could seek out the opinions of this excellent body of experts

Should I jump and if so how do I go about it.

Its easy when you know how

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mark Turner
    Participant
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 485

Tippon

Would it not be better to do a win 10 upgrade as mentioned above and see if it automatically registers which seems to work ” I did the daughters boyfriends old win 8.1 machine last week upgraded it said 10 was registered then did a clean install you could upgrade see if it registers then back up what you need then do a clean install ” you will find out if the 7 key installed on the laptop works that way.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Mark Turner.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 2,438

If I was doing a straight upgrade, then yeah, but I’ve bought her an SSD too. The original plan was to do a clean install onto the SSD with a cheap ebay key, then let her get used to Win 10 slowly. I had the first key refuse to activate, so the seller sent a new one, and that wouldn’t activate either. I’m hoping that it’s something to do with the laptop previously being upgraded from Vista to 7, and using the 7 key will let the 10 upgrade go through.

It’s been about a month so far and I still can’t get her to tell me what she wants transferred >.<

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 2,682

That will work. Since the W10 creators update it accepts W7 retail keys

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

It is only when you try to transfer your retail licence to a new machine that you have to ring MS 😁

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 3,634

I installed 10 on an 8 laptop yesterday and it activated automatically. Not sure how or why, but it worked.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Well thats the thing. MS will have had the hardware registered under W8. So far they are still letting people who had 7 or 8 machines upgrade to W10.

If you build a new machine and have a windows retail licence you will still need to call MS 🙄

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Oh yes, that will transfer the licence to the new hardware and invalidate the old 😆

The Duke
    @sgb101

Is the windows assistance loop hole still avalible? I used that a ton of times a few years back. As I class reliance on spell checker as ‘assistance’.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I don’t know but Microsoft really do want everyone on W10.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Of corse they do, and so should the whole Internet. As older compromised Windows is a theat to all. Well all pc users.

Android has to be running the most traffic on the net now.

Mark Turner
    Participant
    @turner74

I did a win 8 laptop today my brother has had it stashed away for a few years did the upgrade it registered straight away. Followed that by a clean install and all is fine. I’ve not had a lot of dealings with 8 then I get 2 in a week both upgraded and registered straight away.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Not surprised Mark. MS will have the hardware registered, like it or not

Mark Turner
    Participant
    @turner74

@Graham a free upgrade is always good even though the keys are cheap on the bay

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Seems to be the mobo serial number that does the trick

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

And that will be found by the SMBIOS I already have a bee in my bonnet about 😁

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 2,968

Interesting new option from MS – the opportunity in future to re-install W10 off the cloud. It just came in to my Windows Insider Inbox  – thought I’d opted out of that!!

“A faster, easier way to reset your PC.
    Running into trouble and need to re-install Windows? Instead of creating a USB stick with installation media, you can now download Windows directly from the cloud. No USB required!”

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,379

Tippon don’t forget there are some cpu/gpu gotchas which make Win10 impossible for machines in the Vista and earlier era.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Thats not actually totally new JCD. For quite a while now the Media Creation Tool has had an option to create installation media or to just reinstall Windows from the latest online immage, odd ah ?

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 2,438

Tippon don’t forget there are some cpu/gpu gotchas which make Win10 impossible for machines in the Vista and earlier era.

Wouldn’t that stop it from installing rather than activating though? It’s installed correctly, other than I think two drivers, but it wouldn’t activate with a 10 key.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,379

Wouldn’t that stop it from installing rather than activating though?

Sounds a reasonable guess unless the drivers are part of the WIM system, or similar.

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image