Wall Tile Grout Reviver – White

HOME Forums Home and DIY Other DIY Topics Wall Tile Grout Reviver – White

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I am trying to refresh the grout between the bathroom tiles.

I tried a scrubbing brush to no avail, I purchased these they throw out a bit of white now and again (not as I expected, it went on the tile not the grout) in theory they are carp.

Has anyone ever cleaned/whitened/revived the grout, what did you do (use).

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

Spread the love
Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,312

White vinegar, in a spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle. Should be under £2 for both depending on what shops you have local.

My Instagram

My YouTube

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,378

Thanks PM I will get some. £1 for a spray bottle with white vinegar (Wilko)

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka
    Forumite Points: 441

Toilet Duck type of toilet cleaner. Covered the whole wall(s) with it, brushed it in a bit with a wet brush and left it for a few hours. Then gave it a good scrub while spraying it with the shower. Came out nice and clean. Unfortunately, the next time I did it I used a different toilet cleaner and it stained the grout a light turquoise colour. So, risky. Have to make sure the cleaner you going to use won’t stain. They both were green. No idea why one of them stained.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks tadka, I will try it (if white vinegar’s no good) , I have tiles outside the shower so a bit tricky to spray with the shower.

Cheers
    John

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,140

If lime-scale is involved then citric acid is my ‘go-to’.

Citric acid is sold for kettle descaling, but you normally pay ££s for just enough to do one kettle. I buy it as food-grade by the 5Kg and use it not only for descaling, but any surface cleaning where acid helps. (I use a tablespoon per kettle for descaling)

You can also (with care) use it in cooking to make your own lemonade etc.

It is a mild acid without any odour but if you have any open cuts it will sting like hell, so treat with caution and do not get any in your eyes!

Jukebox
    Participant
    @jukebox
    Forumite Points: 296

I’ve used this from B&Q:

https://tinyurl.com/ydyfmrhc

Has built-in sponge applicator and works a treat.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,772

White vinegar and bicarb, mix together make a paste and apply, leave over night then scrub off the next day.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Ed – Jukebox and Duke

More ways than I had even thought of much appreciated.

Cheers
    John

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

The only problem with vinegar is the pong!

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,312

The only problem with vinegar is the pong!

I like it.

Reminds me of my Tadcu (grandfather) buying me huge portions of fish and chips down west Wales, when visiting his extended family.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

OK, but don’t use it to descale your kettle unless you like a fish&chip tea!

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

O s-t how long does it pong for? if it’s as long as my -a-t I can’t use vinegar.

Cheers
    John

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Try a little and see if you can tolerate it. Everyone has a different sense of smell, I can still smell it days later.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Just wash it down afterwards with some detol or your bathroom cleaner of choice, after your grout is clean.

Actually, just jif cream you can wipe it on, and leave it for an hour and rice that off.

However I don’t mind white vinegar, but hate table vinegar smell and taste. Our house we either you detol or vinegar.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Ed I will try some and see.

Duke I have some detol so maybe wipe it down.

Cheers
    John

The Duke
    @sgb101

Love the smell of that stuff, but I buy the Tesco own 25p (ish) a bottle version. Smell the same and far cheaper.

Now when I was in the marines, after being out in the field for weaks at a time, when back at Base, we put a couple of cap fulls of the real stuff in a bath full of water, (don’t try with the cheap stuff), as way to clean out all our cuts, grazes, stings and blisters etc… while sleeping in the bath for a few hours.

Also liquid savalon iirc.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,043

Now when I was in the marines, after being out in the field for weeks at a time, when back at Base, we put a couple of cap fulls of the real stuff in a bath full of water, (don’t try with the cheap stuff), as way to clean out all our cuts, grazes, stings and blisters etc… while sleeping in the bath for a few hours.

Steve, that brings back similar memories! Dettol and foot powder saved my feet I think. Some mates who didn’t bother with looking after their bodies properly, just wanted to get away to the NAAFI. Most eventually had blisters and infected cuts, and learned more sense. At least, my feet are still in good nick now, more than can be said for all other bits! Having nearby beaches and a good dip in the sea helps too. Used to soak my feet in Dettol and hot water after a long run, too. Magic stuff, Dettol.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Don’t know if they had zink oxide tape in your day bob, and 1000miles socks (under issue socks). a mixture of them, foot powder. And drying your wet sock under your balls why you slept worked for me.

Well I’m lying it’s helped. But there is only so much you can do before all your nails fell off and most of your feet was mostly blistered. You be speed marching and pink water and blood would be bubbling out of your boot eyelets.

It’s quite amazing how much of a girl I am now, normal little blisters kill me now. my flip flops rubbed me while away honestly.

But back then, as you know, you had no option but to keep going, and it’s quiet amazing how much pain you can just zone out when you don’t have a safety blanket. As on holiday I did, I binned my flip-flops and bought sandles. Later that night I was thinking of what I just wrote, while having a been and looking at this tiny 5p blister that defeated me.

A bit of me inside wept. I could once yomp 30miles over marshland in one go, that day I couldn’t make it 100ft to the pool 😥

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love