Forumite Forums General Topics Health and Well being Ailments Weather Forecasts

• Creator
    Topic
    Richard
    Participant

I am going to avoid any reference to names for forecasts but want to contrast the forecasts of doom that sound like the coming apocalypse in the coming couple of weeks but the actual forecast for this area sounds, while not tropical but nowhere near as dire. I wonder why this is?
      I have put it in ailments because weather does affect them but I could not find a more suitable Forum

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Bob Williams
      Participant

My area of East Lindsey, Lincs, is surrounded by water of one sort or another: the North sea, several rivers including the Trent and Humber, and backed in the west by the Wolds. There is something about this environment that gives us a micro-climate, often different to surrounding areas. We get our BBC forecasts from “BBC North, East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.” Most of the time it is wrong, don’t know if that is down to the main forecaster Paul Hudson or not. (a Barnsley lad: if you’re reading this Lee, he is a Bradford City fan and was at the stadium fire game) What may often be correct for E. Yorks, is not always true for us. What may be correct for other parts of Lincolnshire, is not always true here either. We have one of the driest climates in the UK, although that must mean the rest is at least 3 feet under water most of the time.??

The weather for the whole of the UK is notoriously difficult to predict, despite the £millions spent on super computers. Our position, between the Atlantic to the west and south, Arctic to the north and the huge landmass of Eurasia to the East, produces waves of opposing weather systems that are liable to spin off into directions that cannot be predicted, especially if the Jet Stream decides to switch to the north or south of us. The main benefit of all this unpredictable weather, has been Social: it gives the British something to talk about and breaks the ice between strangers (except when travelling on the London Underground, where anyone attempting to strike up a conversation is regarded as potentially mentally unstable.) There are so many nouns and adjectives for British weather, but I do love my old mam’s description concerning one type of precipitation: “Eet’s that rain as gets yer wet.” She meant the fine stuff that is between drizzle and mist of course. My old German mate Rolf was baffled after returning from a holiday in the UK, during which he toured the country. “You British have conversations about your weather, which you keep going for a very long time.”

He has a point.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
        I'm out.

Richard
        Participant

I understand your points but the whole thrust of the real forecasts for the broader area in which I live is far less extreme than the headlines. There are some lowish temperatures but none negative for the next two weeks and not a hint of snow, while headlines suggest something wildly different. Blizzards, blocked roads and impossible travel, it could be that these wild threats are for parts of the country well away from my home, – to which I am likely to remain tethered while my SWMBO attends hospital(s) or awaits calls to here or there. I just hope it does not started a ground swell of panic buying.

My interest is less about the weather as such, and more a discussion of the gap between sources of information as I read things.

JayCeeDee
          Participant

It’s been that way since Mr Hurricane’s infamous forecast of October 1987. That made them all the more eager never to be put in that position again.

The recent nannying from the state has also crossed over into this whereby the forecasters think that unless we’re told not to go outside when it’s icy, we’ll sue the bu**ers for negligence if we slip over. It also appears on the “Yellow Warnings” where the very existence of a warning brings all the cautions out of the cupboard from travel delays to landslides to a danger of falling over.

If that was the case, there’d have been a Yellow warning every time I went to the pub!!

New look is good Lee – thanks as ever.

Accessing through Firefox at the minute as Chrome is giving me a blank page even after clearing the cache!!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
          Forumite