Forumite

Webcams

HOME Forums Tech Linux Talk Webcams

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Some time ago, Skype, used in Linux, suddenly would not see webcams, though audio remained OK. This affected Tamara’s laptop. Later, “Skypeforlinux” appeared, so I installed that on my PC and her laptop. Still no video on hers.

But mine was OK, and she had her tablet as well, so it got ignored.

Recently I installed the latest Mint 19.1 on my PC, using the replacement SSD following the earlier failure. Everything OK, though many little changes, and  Skypeforlinux still OK for me.

I took the plunge, and installed 19.1 on Tamara’s laptop. The “faulty” internal WiFi card was magically repaired (well, it just worked), as did everything else, EXCEPT her webcam. A Logitech Quickcam for notebooks, De-Luxe. She still had audio, which I then realised was built into the laptop.

I tried the Webcam on my PC, DEAD. My pal took it away, only to find it works perfectly on one of his Windoze computers.

Bearing in mind that it had worked perfectly for a few year with Mint, I thought I would re-check the Linux compatibility tables. Search as I may, they seem to have disappeared. One promising link went to a blank page. Have they all been dropped? I have never previously had something lose compatibility. Comments?

Les.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 8,773

Try Cheese to check if you get a pic.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,096

Ed, been there. Cheese is my go to when any queries. When I tried it with MY computer, skype “saw” a black screen, but did not recognise it as anything (including no sound). Surprisingly, cheese saw nothing.

Les.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 4,123

Is there a version of the logitech webcam software for linux ? In the past I found that just installing that got the camera working with everything else on Windows. Something about the kernel mode driver needing a user mode program to communicate with other user mode programs. I believe the problem surfaced again on some systems after the Spectre Bug fixes. Not on mine though.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,817

I have two Logitech HD cameras (one on the desktop and one on an RPi) and they work fine on both. V4L legacy was dropped, and support for her webcam may have gone with it.

This won’t translate directly, but take a read of the Arch wiki and see if it helps. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/webcam_setup#V4L1_support

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

DDan,  I guess your link explains the loss of support. Perhaps that big, easily accessible list of webcam support or not support that I can no longer find is because much of it is NLA (applicable). I realise it is not all logitech webcams. I currently use a C270, and it gives very good sound and video. The problem with those however is quite expensive, and not very reliable. My current one is No. 3 over a 4 year period or thereabouts.

However, I think I will be getting another if I can’t find anything else suitable.

Which ones do you have.

Les.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

I’m pretty sure they are this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Webcam-2300-Entry-720p/dp/B0087UIJKI

No additional drivers needed on Linux – V4L works just fine.

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

DDan, is that a slip of the pen? You said two logitech webcams, but your link is to an HP, or maybe they are the same thing in different clothes?

Les.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

My original was a slip of the keyboard. It’s the HPs that I have, and work faultlessly (including the audio).

My apologies, my bad.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

DDan, no problem, I have ordered one. That means both the Logitech 270 AND the HP 2300 are good to go.

I will look maybe tomorrow to see if the “broken” webcam  can be made to work, in the knowledge that there is a worker on its way.

Cheers, Les.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

My pal who had checked the “faulty” Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks De Luxe on his windoze computers called around today bringing it with him. Leaving my good Logitech C270 plugged in, I plugged the “faulty” one in a front USB, then later tried the Microsoft Lifecam  instead. — Same results in each case:-

Cheese. Saw the C270, but remained unaware of the other one.

Skype for linux. Worked with the C270, “Saw” the other one, but blank screen only.

VLC. Both webcams seen, were selectable, and worked!

Obviously linux can see them, but Skype can not use, and Cheese can neither see nor use.

Just waiting for the HP to arrive.

Les.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Just a thought, can your friend check to ensure that your web cams are not stuck in ‘privacy’ mode?

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Ed, Mr DuckDuckGo has a few reports of webcams no longer working with Skype, with similar comments on cheese and VLC.

However, the HP webcam has arrived, and Tamara now has full sound and video once more. Popularity restored.

There will shortly be two webcams listed on Ebay, A Logitech Quickcam for notebooks deluxe, and a Microsoft Lifecam VX-1000.

Not suitable for Linux will be appended. That should see the back of them!

Les.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

Glad the HP worked. I have one the desktop for ad hoc use, and one plugged into a Pi running MotionEyeOS as surveillance. Both work a treat.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Dan, if you want a little more customization than that offered by MotionEye you may want to take a look at using OpenCV plus motion detection on a Pi, pretty easy to modify this to add pan/tilt tracking to the camera. Link

One minor problem I have is that .profile (in home on a Pi) is not always read on boot – any idea what could be wrong with my setup? (easily fixed using souce ~/.profile but not really automagical.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!