Forumite Forums General Topics Politics UK What now Brexit?

• Creator
    Topic
    Ed P
    Participant

I actually felt like writing ‘Is Brexit a total waste of time & money’?

Although I recognise anything to do with Brexit is a bit of a Troll Topic I am now honestly and totally confused about what is going on. However perhaps that is because of some fundamental assumptions I have made, so I’ll list these below:

a) A ‘nuclear option’ of a total crash out of the EU is now impossible unless the Conservatives want to break up the UK, and cause an immediate General Election. The ‘Irish Question’ and the DUP in my view make such an option impossible.

b) The agreement with Eire (and the DUP) is to be sealed with a legally binding agreement promising ‘Full Alignment’ and open borders between Eire and Ulster. Theresa May has apparently promised this.

c) Further underlining point a) the recent Commons Defeat of a Brexit clause means that the Government has no option to ‘crash out’

The Irish Government have made clear that full alignment means that the UK will adopt all the EU rules and regulations that Boris et al complained about. Not only will we have to accept them we get no say in their content!

The open border means that Eire becomes the entry point of choice for anyone other than Irish wanting to come into the UK. i.e. we will not have control of our borders!

IF my assumptions are correct then I fail to see what has or will be accomplished by Brexit except to squander ten years of growth (we are now poorer than we were ten years ago), and keep a few people happy in a dream world of an isolated island, where we only let in/out the ‘right’ people.

As I said I recognise the potential for trolling so I’ll happily accept corrections to my assumptions.

Failing those corrections; ‘What the hell is going on!!’

Viewing 2 replies - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      blacklion1725
      Participant

By the way – regards the SWP – they have changed tack, no more spotty college lecturers selling their paper outside tube stations – they have cleverly shifted their approach and use “anti” (Fascism, Nazis etc) as the message rather than their main “pro” (Internationalist Marxism)

You have to give them a lot of credit – in the last decade can you remember any mainstream TV or Newspaper even mentioning the “far left” or “left wing extreme”? Nope.It is as if there is only one extreme – the right.

The fact they have been forgotten about is a testament to their success – they are more active and influential than ever

When you see an EDL or whatever march reported they are reported as “far right” (fair enough) but those countering them are inevitably driven by the SWP and are given the more cuddly title of “anti-fascist protestors”.

It is a sound strategy from them (SWP) as it hides their agenda behind the message of anti-racism/fascism which at a glance we would all support.

Truth is though, the far left (including the SWP) massively outnumber the far right, they are just better at what they do. They haven’t lost influence – the opposite  – they now stage manage “anti-fascism” – using it as the left jab in their assault on democracy. the right cross will come (they hope) when we are all softened up enough).

the far right in this country are thick and obvious – the far left are clever and discrete.

Spedley
        Participant

I think Ed you are about right with your estimation (1st post) but I don’t have any trust in this government.  May is back handed and has a hidden agenda, if you listen carefully you can hear many stories not being picked up.  e.g. When May had her meetings regarding the Irish border she tried to keep the Irish government out of it until after agreements had been made – a deliberate attempt to push her plans against her perceived will of a democratic process.

I feel an end to this which suits me is unlikely (Remain and Corbyn in power).  At best we don’t leave but I think May will scupper out chances and burn our bridges before she lets that happen.  Then there is the possibility that with Remain on the horizon she calls an election knowing that Labour will win and get blamed for it.  But most of all I suspect that we will remain pretty much as we are but with a lower standing in the EU.  Hopefully we won’t give absolute power back to our government and the ECJ still scrutinise us.

As a devout Remainer from the start (finding it incredulous that Leave even stood a chance) the only way they could get me to go along with the Leavers would be a second referendum.  I believe the country has changed it’s mind and we are now heading down a destructive minority path for the wrong reasons.

P.S. on a side note, did you see the recent net immigration figures?  It looks like somewhere between our Xenophobia and the Exchange rate that nobody wants to come here anymore.

i7 4790s / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 980 / 34" UltraWide : i3 4170 / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 770 / 24" Samsung : i3 4130 / 8GB / 500GB Spinner / GTX 1050 / 23" Acer : Q9550 / 8GB / 1TB Spinner / GTX 580 / 22" Acer : i7 720QM / 8GB / 1TB+2TB+500GB Spinners (server) : i5 4570 / 8GB / 60GB SSD / 1TB / GeForce 210 / 22" Dell It's getting warm in here!

Viewing 2 replies - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
        Forumite