whats your take on Ryzen

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk whats your take on Ryzen

This topic contains 46 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by FreakShow! 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Author

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Coins: 769

I found it about 20 mins after I asked the question! I went to update the post but the server seemed to crash. Then I forgot. Lol.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Coins: 335

I found it about 20 mins after I asked the question! I went to update the post but the server seemed to crash. Then I forgot. Lol.

?

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Coins: 77

so, a lot of chatter out there on the ryzen, especially about its poor performance in games?????

And AMD have released a statement that  there is no problem. well its a bit of a no brainer that the ryzen is what it is.

Anyway up. I know there have been some 1700 reviews come in but the one I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR is now in.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-7-1700-review,1.html

Oh pc chat wise I have had to disable IE 11 in windows 10, it was giving plenty of BSODS stop error.. Thing is I never used 11. Maybe it had some thing to do with steam?  :scratch:

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Coins: 410

As expected from Guru 3D a very fair review.

The W10 scheduler was to “blame” for the initial (even) poor(er) Bulldozer performance, but I don’t blame MS for that as AMD must have known exactly what would happen. May be the poor games performance is down to them but it’s hard to see why as it’s not across the board.

Still a waiting game IMO.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 733

I found the bit on page 14 interesting, but I’m not sure what it means in real-world terms. Does this mean extra bus i/o or does it mean that i/o could screw up cpu performance. I’d love to see a review of (say) Skyrim playing within a VirtualBox vm. Intel i7s eat it up, but I’m not so sure about Ryzen. iwik

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

I only made the switch to an i7 back end last year from 3570k and its absolutely a smashing chip because my i5 used to suffer from micro stuttering which I thought was normal until i put the i7 in.

Whats really got my attention at the mo based on the performance of the ryzen out side of gaming is what AMD’s Naples can do. Stonking platform with more bandwidth than the conservatives implementing brexit.  :yahoo:

I would like to see what Naples can do within a render farm.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

Well just in, more Ryzen news.

Damn this Ryzen train.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Good article in Ars. Spoiler – Ryzen is OKish but needs to be cheap to make up for its lack of clock speed. Good for someone on a budget, or graphics/multimedia workstation work but not the best on the block for gaming.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

Actually the Ryzen is not short on gaming performance.

As soon a a system gets a wiff of a GPU bottleneck then all cpu scores fall inline with intel.

GPU bottleneck does not mean low FPS either.

Like I say, as soon as a system gets a wiff of a GPU bottle neck then the fps come into line and this could be in the 90+ of fps.

As soon as gamers start to notice this then their next system like me could well be Ryzen.

I really do not see the FPS thing as a problem.

X2 examples at the mo on my system: farcry primal 1080 full eyecandy 60 and below fps no gaming problem GTA5 same no problem.

My biggest problem game at the mo, mega eyecandy game at full settings rise of the tomb raider that busts my 4 GB limit frame buffer. :negative:

Jason
    Participant
    @jason
    Forumite Coins: 0

I tend to agree. I think the gaming performance is near enough to Intel, and the framerates still high enough, that being slower is not a major factor. And things are likely to improve when patches for the virtual cores and caches are woven into the mix. I reckon the $189 Ryzen 5 1500X, at 3.5 GHz and 4+4 (3.9 GHz boost), is going to capture a load of sales at the expense of Intel’s $350 i7-7700K — about 80% of the performance (possibly better performance outside games) for just over half the cost. And it could demolish Core i5 sales.

If AMD can get the clock up to 4 GHz once the manufacturing settles down, or with the next iteration, I’d say Intel are in trouble on numerous fronts. I reckon we’ll see a fast 2+2 at $99, which will compete blow-for-blow with the Core i3 range.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Jason.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

We know how much willy waving goes on with FPS. For me “good enough” is good enough but for others they may like some headroom for the future. Starting off XX% down can’t really be recommended unless the price is very right.

I am looking forward to the lower end stuff but I think IPC will be even more important there. Don’t forget 2+2 is now £80 Pentium territory and 3.6Ghz at that.

Jason
    Participant
    @jason

I think the only reason we’ve got 2+2 at £80 from Intel is because AMD is back on the pitch.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Absolutely.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Coins: 769

Jayz 2 cents channel in YT is going to be an interesting 30 days. He is using the $500 Ryzen over his $1000intel for his media work for the next month to put it through its paces. He is an amd hater if you know him, it doesn’t come through on the video though, and he is impressed with his first ‘real world’ performance tests, rather than benchmark tests.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I’m sure it will be fine. It’s a task where we already know it can perform. It’s getting repetitive. Still not long until the next lots out. That was always the area I am interested in.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

The Ryzen team are lucky in that Intel have nothing much planned on the desktop front for this year. The only thing they have to worry about are Intel price cuts!

What  would really worry Intel is any hint of ARM compatibility in the Ryzen range as there is a strong rumour that Microsoft is sailing down the ARM path for their future server farm installations. Link

Jason
    Participant
    @jason

AMD should have got into custom ARM design five, six, seven years ago. We’ve said as much here before. It could have been a major ARM player, right across all markets. Intel is stubborn and loves its x86 baby too much. AMD is just an x86 licencee (though Intel has to license the 64-bit parts from AMD) and had nothing to lose. Far too late now.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

An Ryzen 5 1400 in action? on utube. looking good.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Interesting, but as a very average gamer I wonder if there is a lot of purpose to running at frame speeds in excess of 60fps. Apparently only trained fighter pilots can see detail at much more than that. link.  Would it not be more meaningful to ramp up the graphics quality to the max at 4K and give the resulting frame rate?

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

What does a fighter pilot call his underpants?

His cockpit.  :wacko:

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.