whats your take on Ryzen

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk whats your take on Ryzen

This topic contains 46 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by FreakShow! 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 1,315

Ars has a review of the latest games patches for Ryzen. It looks to be a complicated business to tune a game for Ryzen in order to take best advantage of SMT (mult-threading).. Unfortunately on the business front the news is pretty dire for Ryzen, as soon as SMT is turned on Virtual machines suffer a Pink Screen of death. Running without SMT cripples Ryzen to an unusable extent. link I’m afraid I’ll have to read that AMD have fixed this before I have any interest in what otherwise looks a promising VM architecture.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Coins: 166

Interseting find there EdP. Does make you wonder if AMD jumped the gun a little on the Ryzen release. I guess its helps if the industry do find bugs for AMD and then optimise the software to work..

I see the 5 reviews are coming in today.

All a bit CBA now even though they beat my 3770k in practiccly every thing.

My 3770k is getting a bit long in the tooth.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Coins: 166

Well, Tech Spot have rated the Ryzen 1400 as outsatanding.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 1,315

It starts to look as though AMD are getting close to their old position of competitive performance at lower prices. The Ryzen 7 2700x could well start to eat into Intel sales if this overclock data is typical. link

FreakShow!
    Participant
    @freakshow
    Forumite Coins: 57

Yup, have decided I’m going to make a new server based on them. Can’t decide between the 2400G or a cheap 1600 though.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Coins: 760

Yup, have decided I’m going to make a new server based on them. Can’t decide between the 2400G or a cheap 1600 though.

The 2400 has just had a price cut:

https://hexus.net/business/news/components/116927-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-ryzen-3-2200g-get-prices-cut/

FreakShow!
    Participant
    @freakshow
    Forumite Coins: 57

The 2400 has just had a price cut: https://hexus.net/business/news/components/116927-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-ryzen-3-2200g-get-prices-cut/

I think all of the Ryzens currently out have had a price cut. For about £20 more than the 2400G I can get a 1600. It’s now a pretty tough decision. I could get a base system going with the low end £80 2200G, as upgrading later will be easy enough.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.