Which A3 Printer?

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Which A3 Printer?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by John Hilton White 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

John Hilton White
    Participant
    @johnhwhite
    Forumite Coins: 0

I shall need a replacement for my Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mk2 which I cannot get to work any longer. Could someone please recommend an A3 Printer that does automatic double sided printing and can be set up to print in booklet form so that I can print off on line magazines and music scores to A4 size? I should also like to be able to print the occasional A3 Photo.

Cheers

John

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Coins: 235

HI John,

EPSONWorkForce WF-7715DWF All-in-One Wireless A3 Inkjet Printer with Fax at Currys for £169.99 and a possibility of £60 cashback.Does duplex printing etc from the blurb.

But not looked into the cashback offer. I have had 2 WF printers in the past few years and my current one a WF2750 WF model is duplex etc. and fitted with a CISS as I do a lot of prints as p[art of my work – I don;t use it for photoprinting with CISS though.

The are certainly fast printing printer which I need as occasionally I have to print off 100+ sheets.

It doesn’t say that it is a photo printer which I suspect it won’t be.

Dave

PS Just had a look at the Epson w/site – A3 photo printer £350 – £600 didn’t check as to Duplex printing etc though.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by dwynnehugh.

To err is human, but forgiveness is not Tory policy!

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Coins: 235

As for your printing options isn’t that a function of the software programme and not that of the printer?

To err is human, but forgiveness is not Tory policy!

Alan Wood
    Participant
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Coins: 188

I have an HP 7612 True A3 AIO printer. Works very well and compatible cartridges are much cheaper than HP ones.

Not sure about the booklet situation however as never needed this, but it does have a check box in the driver to select booklet.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Coins: 1,013

I hope the HP 7612 True A3 AIO Is a less voracious eater of printheads and ink tanks than my old CP 1700 standalone was.

http://tinyurl.com/ybzcnm5c

Not an AIO: no scanner, just a USB-connected monster which was so heavy that it came in its own crate. It had 3 colour and one black cartridge, with separate inktanks. From ’95 to 2003, after injury, disability and ending employed work, I carried out a 12 month course at a disability college, together with weekends at another tech college. I started working as a self-employed designer & printer and eventually (around ’98) bought a PC and the Monster with money from my last job. It printed everything I designed faultlessly: business stationery, brochures, prospectuses, booklets and entertainment packs. But the cart’s and inktanks eventually reached £28+ each and when I finally retired, I sold it to someone who had been badgering me for it. I warned him about the price of cart’s and tanks, but he would not listen: he could not resell it as printers had moved on. Think he dumped it. I can only find these tanks and ‘heads in the USA, look at the price of them now:

http://tinyurl.com/y8h7559k

It also printed photographs, some of which I still have. They appeared to be OK to me, until I compared copies made on the 9yo Photosmart C5380 that I have now. That’s 5-cart and I only ever use genuine HP cart’s, which I shop around for. The 5380 prints the best photos and colour copies I have ever seen from an inkjet. My 5380 is an A4 printer with 5 cart’s, one of which is a Photo Black: all 5 cart’s are HP Vivera ink and I only buy the —-X high capacity cart’s. HP no longer make a 5 cart printer and most A3 printers listed also use a “Tri Cart” which is one of those 3-colour jobs. When one colour runs out, the cart is U/S. That’s why I look after my 5380, and why I will probably have to look beyond HP if it dies. I think HP is yet another company making products without the quality and effectivity of previous models.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

John Hilton White
    Participant
    @johnhwhite

Many thanks, gentlemen, for all your Interesting replies. With my Canon Pixma 9000 Prof Mk 2, the controls appear to be from the prnter’s own software which includes the booklet facility. I’ve been somewhat tempted by a review in Computer Active Magazine of the Brother MFC- J6930DW. I previously had one of the early Brother A3 printer/ copiers, but I eventually passed it on to a charity shop when I got the Canon on special offer about 5 or 6 years ago.

Cheers,

John

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Coins: 1,013

The Brother MFC-J6930DW is £239.60 inc VAT John. A pack of XL cartridges is £85.49.

http://tinyurl.com/y8cghkbj

Would you be better off with a Colour Laser? Some here:

http://tinyurl.com/y8pwnr9b

Toner cartridges last a lot longer than ink. Just a thought: you might have some initial higher cost, but in the long run, consumables will be cheaper. Select “Price” -“Low to High”, some of them are very expensive.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

John Hilton White
    Participant
    @johnhwhite

Many thanks, Bob, for that Lazar link, but I don’t think I want to fork out over £400 for a machine that doesn’t do automatic duplex. I looked at the mono lazar printers that the same firm were offering and they all seemed to be in the 4 figure price range! If I can find a reasonably priced Canon A3 to my specification, I think I might go for that,

Cheers,

John.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.