Forumite

Whither Apple?

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Whither Apple? 2Ed P
    @edps

My #1 son is an Apple Developer but now does not know whether he should be learning the Windows SDK! All this is caused by Apple moving from Intel to their own proprietary ARM cpus. (see Gizmodo article)

The reason for his dilemma is of course money. As he said to me, there are finite limits on how much new Apple kit a developer can afford (Apple does not give developers any price deals afaik). He is close to requiring a replacement for his Mac Pro, but now thinks that he would be crazy to buy one at this time.

At this time Apple do not appear to have a clear pathway to shifting from Intel to ARM. They cannot afford to maroon their developers on Intel Mac Pros, but neither can developers afford a new expensive ARM development machine. Market positioning for Apple is going to be a huge challenge if they lose their developer base. Microsoft’s Windows Phone experience should be an object lesson to them – good hardware does not survive an absence of developers.

Apple’s launch ARM machine risks becoming a cross between an expensive Chrome Book and a cheap Windows Surface Pro. If they position it at the upper end as a superior Surface Pro then they will present too high an entrance fee to their developers. The only bridging solution I could imagine would be either an ARM VM or a modestly priced add-on ARM board for the Pro.

Apple is in ‘interesting times’.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Whither Apple? 3Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,754

Emulation? Does rather defeat the point though and didn’t work for Intel’s foray into tablets.

Participant
    Whither Apple? 4Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 2,708

They will have emulation for the first two years apparently with Rosetta 2 – based on the similar ideas behind the original Rosetta when they switched from PPC chips.

I gather he does not want, or qualify for, the ARM transition kit?

I’m concerned that some of the apps that I use wont be ported to ARM, and some of the these apps are the reason I use the Mac. Though in fairness, I would have at least two more years of them and then however long I kept the hardware.

However, recently having been working with the Mac for the last few months, I’m actually thinking of getting back to Windows, as some of the default Mac-isms are now getting annoying… :scratch:

Participant
    Whither Apple? 2Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,933

He probably qualifies for the scheme, but money is the big issue. Apple do not normally dole out these things for free and Apple kit has a high entry fee,  He also likes kit that he can use for both business and pleasure.

What he really wants to see is X-code on ARM, as he says that would enable him to rationalise his hardware and eliminate the need for a Mac Pro. (I have no idea how or why, this is the case, he just volunteered that particular  tid-bit to me!). I guess it has something to do with his using the Apple platform for various AI-based apps as that is the area he is now pursuing.

Participant
    Whither Apple? 4Drezha
    @drezha

I just seen that the developer kit costs $500 and belongs to Apple – i.e. you’ll have to send it back at the end.

I guess in the future XCode will be on ARM, as the Mac’s will be on ARM! Wether or not that means that the iPad will be able to run it or, I guess we’ll find out.

Participant
    @ricedg

I guess you can wave goodbye to MS Office on the Mac for a while. I do wonder if this is what’s behind the decision, Mac’s aren’t so unique any more. It’s got to be risky and they need to remember why they went in the opposite direction in the first place.

Participant
    Whither Apple? 4Drezha
    @drezha

I guess you can wave goodbye to MS Office on the Mac for a while. I do wonder if this is what’s behind the decision, Mac’s aren’t so unique any more. It’s got to be risky and they need to remember why they went in the opposite direction in the first place.

I don’t think so – afterall, Office runs on the iPad, which is already an ARM architecture. Sure, there’s some slightly differences between the two, but generally it’s very similar and very usable. In fact, work bought me an iPad Pro instead of a Surface tablet (partly to do with inspections and inspection software) and with the new Magic Keyboard, the iPad is actually a decent laptop replacement, for all work we do is in Office and Teams – all on the ARM based iPad – file browsing is still a faff though and this carries through to the Mac – I don’t know who at MS thought this was a decent view!

Whither Apple? 9

And Apple have been moving some Mac apps to be combined since 2018 with Marizpan. Various Apple inbuilt apps are already using this apparently, such as the Notes application, so I don’t think the change over will be to much of an issue. He says.

Participant
    Whither Apple? 10The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,473

I got a iPad pro this year, and the magic keyboard. It’s a very keyboard indeed. It’s not for behind the old ThinkPads. Slot nicer than the last gen apple laptop, my lad has. I think they went back to the older switches.

Given such a thin base I thought I wouldn’t like it, and return it day one. It supposed me. Between 5hstvand my one plus 7 pro, I’ve only had to reach for a laptop once. And that was to view a council website that wanted ie.

The iPad (any new one) a pen, and the magic keyboard (or the think pad one I guess), make for a good alternative laptop.

Though not a cheep experiment to run.

Participant
    Whither Apple? 4Drezha
    @drezha

I got a iPad pro this year, and the magic keyboard. It’s a very keyboard indeed. It’s not for behind the old ThinkPads. Slot nicer than the last gen apple laptop, my lad has. I think they went back to the older switches. Given such a thin base I thought I wouldn’t like it, and return it day one. It supposed me. Between 5hstvand my one plus 7 pro, I’ve only had to reach for a laptop once. And that was to view a council website that wanted ie. The iPad (any new one) a pen, and the magic keyboard (or the think pad one I guess), make for a good alternative laptop. Though not a cheep experiment to run.

Certainly agree with that – I’ve got the new MacBook Air as well (wouldn’t have the old one – the old keyboards were awful) and the iPad Pro keyboard is actually better IMHO than the MacBook! I would perhaps prefer the bigger iPad now I’m using as a laptop, but the 11″ is better for the inspections I carry out.

Participant
    @ricedg

Of course, online Doh! Although I have Teams I tend to still use the desktop apps.

Teams file sort order drives me nuts, why can’t it default to alphabetical? That stops me using it, I have the files synchronised to a One Drive for Business folder.

Participant
    Whither Apple? 4Drezha
    @drezha

Of course, online Doh! Although I have Teams I tend to still use the desktop apps. Teams file sort order drives me nuts, why can’t it default to alphabetical? That stops me using it, I have the files synchronised to a One Drive for Business folder.

I thought I was the only one! I managed to get around it slightly – I save the folder I need to access via a browser bookmark (rather than access via the Teams application) and if you have it sort by alphebetical and then save the bookmark, it will have saved the view and it will be in alphabetical order as well. And I also then have a shortcut to the folder, which drives me mad in Teams!

I would sync with Onedrive for Business, but on the Mac, it’s fairly poor.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.