Who will rid me of this damned 'key'

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Who will rid me of this damned 'key'

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by johnbarry 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

When I open F’mite these days and look on the top input area (address bar?? – normally where you would normally type www: etc.)  I now have the following on the LHS of it:-

a circle with an ‘i’ in it (I think it’s an ‘i’),

a rectangular speech box with a diagonal line through it

a black col key

and a green coloured lock – that is showing something to be ‘locked’

Each and every time I go into any topic I get a box asking me if I want to update the password or not.

I’ve looked in the obvious places but can’t find anything and it is ONLY on Forumite.

It’s a BL**DY nuisance – how do I get shut of it PLEASE ………………….!!

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Spread the love
Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 928

Dave – what browser is this ?

When you hover over these things – what do they say ?

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,301

I had that trouble for a day or so, I told it to go away, and I am happy to say it has not come back. I am using Firefox with the latest version and I think that could/might have upset its apple-cart. Though I do save the password I think I told the interminable pop up not to save anything and so far it is good news, the existing save is still working and no more pop ups.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,640

My guess is you are using Chrome and the black key is related to the password bit in the link above.

The green padlock just means you are using HTTPS and your link is secure.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 952

I am using Firefox and in the below image – this is what I have.

When I ask it to show the password ‘used’ it displays something which I don’t recognise as any password I would use.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,448

..a circle with an ‘i’ in it (I think it’s an ‘i’),

a rectangular speech box with a diagonal line through it

a black col key

and a green coloured lock – that is showing something to be ‘locked’

Each and every time I go into any topic I get a box asking me if I want to update the password or not

I am on FFox but only had the feature in bold Dwynne: I was actually completely locked out. I found the “password” in the box, it was almost a line long and completely unlike any password I had. Lee fixed it for me and I had a new password: try that yourself.

Does FFox keep all your passwords? When you have changed password:

Go to ToolsOptionsLogins and Passwords – click Saved Logins.

Click Show Passwords, scroll through and find your new password, check the date to see it’s the latest. Remove any other Forumite passwords. Click Hide Passwords, exit.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

The “i” in a circle is usually for information. What does it say if you hover over it or click it ?

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/password-manager-remember-delete-change-and-import

As you are using ffox you may find the above link more useful 😁

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,294

Have you fixed this, and could I get a step by step. It’s driving me mad, too, and there’s no option I can find to stop it. FF & Linux.

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

Hi D-Dan,

I might have but I don’t really know why now.  For a while now each time I open any specific post in Forumite this bl**dy message came up – so I tried both options – Update and Don’t Update the password – they didn’t work – the thing just kept on coming back each time – hence my post.

Just now the same message and I opted for ‘Update’ and now it’s gone – why now, I’ve done this before and it didn’t work.  Whether I switch off and come back on and it stays off I will see later but it is a bl**dy nuisance.

THAT WAS SHORT LIVED – IT’S BACK 😡😡

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by dwynnehugh.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,448

Dwynne take a look at your Saved Passwords if Firefox saves them. The password you save might not be the one you usually use: it might be a long jumble of characters. That’s what I did and it locked me out. See if you can change your password in your Forumite Profile, then log out and log back in with the password you created. Then remove the previous password from your saved passwords list. See my post #34967 above.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Above is the very most recent info I can find on removing saved passwords in firefox running on Linux.

I don’t have a Linux install to hand at the moment so I cant test it but have a look and tell me if its complete rubbish 😁

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Actually at least part of it is rubbish. I searched for Linux and all the results were for Linux except for the one above which is Windows 😂

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,821

I have stopped it happenning by selecting never save in the scroll down on the right.

Yet to find out if it stops all (NEW, future) websites from offering to save passwords. Possibly will but all mine are saved so at least I stopped it popping up on forumite.

Cheers
    John

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Likewise, it did not affect my already saved passwords for this or other sites.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

You did Richard I didn’t see it in your above post till now

Cheers
    John

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

I may have done it – I looked at the password Forumite was suggesting I was using and found same in my Saved Passwords in FF, so I removed it.

Booted back into FF/Forumite and it was still there but now there was another opinion on the ‘Update’  which when opened allowed me to request ‘never to save a password’.

Bingo, I think its gone!!

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

I am glad it has finally been fixed for you.

It was both annoying and annoying hard to solve with the answer often appearing to depend on nothing very obvious.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,630

Every time I post a reply, my last pass app asks me do I want to update the password too. Been doing it for ages. I just ignore it.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I just ignore it.

Ignorance is bliss, but no pop ups are better and the damned ‘key’ is gone.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love