Forumite

WiFi problems

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Les.
    @oldles

Not sure where to post this, but here for now.

One of my Saturday morning crowd has a reception problem. I got him to email me a full description. (note MT = Manx Telecom) which is here.

”       The computer frequently loses internet access, typically from 3pm onwards. Sites start to slow down and then access drops completely – and the same happens to the Sky Q box. I’m not sure when access comes back but it’s certainly after we’ve gone to bed. I’ve spoken (at length!) to MT and they assure me that the signal is not being interrupted before it reaches the router and that the router itself is working properly. Strangely, the internet access icon on the bottom of the screen display doesn’t show any change when access is actually lost. I changed the filter on the phone line running to the router and that did improve the signal strength but didn’t stop the computer losing access.

In terms of location, the router is probably 20 feet from the computer with a partition wall between them but nothing had been changed before this problem started. Annoyingly, the computer doesn’t appear to be able to take a cable from the router otherwise that would be an easy way of checking things.     ”

I know from last conversation, they suggested changing channels, and I recall they made suggestions of (RF?) interference, but he knows of no local source.

I did wonder if he could change the band (high or low) and asked him, and his reply was:–

”     I’m pretty sure MT told me the router was a fixed high band unit but there was a lot of tech language flying around so I may have mis-heard!      ”

Can anybody offer any advice. I may have an old router somewhere myself he could try.

Les.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,550

Sounds like Manx Telcom are getting lessons from BT in screwing up the Internet connection, I’ll bet that if he had a wired connection all would be well!

If the problem is recent and if he hasn’t fiddled with anything then it is possible that someone has set up something that is broadcasting interfering rf. Tell him to follow this guide to see if it improves the situation.

If I use BT as an example of a malign telecomm there have been frequent very short (1 to 2 minute) outages in this area as they accommodate Virgin sticking in fibre. This seems to make wifi throw a fit (when fixed ports are not being used) as DCHP goes wobbly during and after the outage and (I’m guessing) the outage is too short for everything to be correctly reset. As a result I get a ‘connected’ but no Internet showing. I have used ‘Fing’ on my phone (or laptop) to give me messages on these outages and used the info to berate BT, and in the mean time moved all my equipment over to fixed ports.  That seems to have fixed the problem.

Dave will almost certainly have a more technical explanation for DHCP renegotiation and why that impacts the Internet connection, but I put it all down to malign efforts by BT and a carp BT router that does not hold a copy of the DCHP table!

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,285

It seems unlikely it’s anything at his end causing interference, I’ve never actually seen that happen in real life. Same goes for channels. Sure neither is desirable but enough to stop or significantly slow service? Nah.

More likely as Ed says a combination of MT and or a crap router. The service can appear to be up but that doesn’t mean it’s capable of carrying traffic.

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,757

Thanks for replies. I have given him a link to the posts so he can read himself, without me transcribing. I know he had various discussions with MT, and they seemed helpful, but ultimately unsuccessful.

I already suggested direct connection, and he said no connector. I thought he meant on the router, but in fact he says on his computer. Back in late ’90s and early ’00s, we used to fit many network cards, but I don’t think I have seen a PC without network port in last 15 years. I will pursue that with him.

Cheers, Les.

Participant
    Jukebox
    @jukebox
    Forumite Points: 493

A look with a WiFi analyser would be useful. I have an app on my tablet (android) from farproc which is excellent and shows the signal strenghts of  all the local signals but there are several similar apps. I have had a case where a neighbour’s signal on the same channel was causing a problem (it was nearly twice the strength of the one I was investigating!) Rather than changing the channel however I opted for a pair of powerline adapters in case the neighbour changed his channel (the user was north of Glasgow and a quick trip to sort it out again wasn’t really practical).

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,757

On reading his manual, it seems there is a network connection under a not yet knocked out knock out. But then he remembered he had an old laptop with accessible socket. His comments:–

”      An update, of sorts. It occurred to me that I had an old laptop lying around that used to run the internet via cable so, rather than faff about with access panels on the PC, I dusted the laptop off and plugged it into the router. Surprise! Exactly the same symptoms as the PC so it clearly wasn’t interference between the router and the PC that was causing the problem. Armed with this information I had a spirited conversation with MT who have finally conceded that it is a contention issue. Of course , they don’t have any immediate way of dealing with it and were less than impressed with my suggestion that I should only be paying 50% of the monthly charge as I can only use their service for 50% of the time. Apparently their technical people are now “looking into it” – whatever that means.     ”

I have suggested he goes into their showroom and make loud noises. Then demand a free “Mobile sim and dongle” to restore paid for access.

If no satisfactory result, cancel the whole damn shebang, land line included, and get a SURE sim instead. If they want their router back, I have a good spare worker here.

He sends his thanks for your replies.

Les.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,285

Contention means MT have oversold their product. Virgin do that around here.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,550

Or it is an excuse, because they are installing new software, or they have outsourced system management to India, or both  — ugh!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.