Forumite

WileyFox Swift 2X – dying battery

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk WileyFox Swift 2X – dying battery

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    WileyFox Swift 2X – dying battery 2Ed P
    @edps

My WileyFox Swift 2X  Battery has done all that I wanted over the last couple of years, and from a functionality standpoint I do not need anything more at this time. However, the near impossibility of battery replacement means that I will NOT buy another Wiley Fox. In my view it is a criminal waste to have to discard a perfectly good phone because the battery is dying.

I will not buy another phone unless it is modular (including the battery). It looks like the new Fairphone 3 meets that requirement and more.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    WileyFox Swift 2X – dying battery 3The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,208

Way over priced. I’d still get a moto G7 for £149. Or a play version for a bit less.

Participant
    WileyFox Swift 2X – dying battery 4Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,334

+1

Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,276

The G7 has the same difficult to replace battery construction. (almost identical to the Swift X2) so no thank you.

This link has viable alternates.

Participant
    @edps

Going through the links the Samsung Galaxy XCover 4S looks interesting.

Participant
    WileyFox Swift 2X – dying battery 7Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,988

Good morning Ed. I am selling our two Wiley’s but have changed batteries in both the ( original) Spark and Swift over 4 years. Not easy at first to split the case, but after first time it was easier. I found batteries in China after a Google, very cheaply and obviously genuine WF originals. But I agree with your opinion of Wileyfox as a company: total lack of support and I will never buy another WF phone. Missus and I bought identical Sony Xperia L3 phones from Carphone Warehouse and we are very happy with them. Good luck with your next choice!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    WileyFox Swift 2X – dying battery 3The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,208

@edps my point was I wouldn’t by that fair phone over a moto g, just for a changeable battery, given you could by 3 moto g over 6 years for the same money.

However the Nokia, seems a decent device, at a decent price. If a replaceable battery is on your wants then I’d get that over the Moto.

Personally battery’s are that good now, I don’t even think about them when buying. My only thought is fast charge. I’d even take a small capacity fast charge over a large capacity normal charge. FC has solved the whole battery problem for me. Also my pjoem has a large FC battery so I never now charge over night, and it never goes below 20 percent, and even after about 16months is behaving like when new.

Participant
    WileyFox Swift 2X – dying battery 9blacklion1725
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 3,338

I’ve just moved to a Moto G7 power dual sim – mainly because I wanted a monster battery and dual-sim with SD card (old Lonovo P2 was either dual sim or single sim + SD). Its lower specced than the other G7s but love the phone and battery is unbelievably good. Camera is definitely better than the P2 (although not a big deal for me) and Android 9 is very nice. Only downside is no 5G wifi – very odd but only seems to apply to the dual sim Euro version that I bought. I used to insist on a removable battery and always had samsungs up the S5 when they stopped doing it. Horses for courses but in the last 2 phones I have never even thought about charging and that is a real plus for me.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

Apologies Ed for my post. I just viewed the YT link to removing the Spark 2X battery, what a tremendous faff that is! To disassemble the original Spark and swift was much easier: I just needed a Stanley blade initially to crack the seal, then managed to insert my thumbnail into the crack and follow it all round with a very thin-bladed screwdriver, No screws to remove, no parts to carefully prise out. Just insert same thumbnail under the edge of the battery and slide it out. I can see why you call it a “…near impossibility” !

I just hope our Xperia’s batteries last at least another 3 years. It’s time companies thought more about battery life and less about knocking out more and more devices which feature irreplaceable resources. Consumerism has gone stark raving bonkers.

I'm out.

Participant
    WileyFox Swift 2X – dying battery 11JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,811

I just hope our Xperia’s batteries last at least another 3 years.

I bought my Xperia Z3 Compact back in June 2015, I replaced it with Nolan’s Moto G5 10 months ago. The Sony has sat on my desk and been charged occasionally, last time a month ago and switched off. Just turned it back on and it’s still on 100%.

They seem to do quite well.

Participant
    @edps

Just for the record the battery was doing really well up to 28 months or so, giving me a good 24 hour + normal usage (not watching video on it). However at 29+ months I’m lucky to get 18 hours out of it, sometimes much less.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

I estimated that SWMBO and I got around 31/32 months each out of our old WFox Swift and Spark, after allowing for the fact that the Swift (mine) was bought about 3 months before SWMBO’s Spark. Taking into account the fact that ours were the original, much simpler models than yours Ed.

I will have to tell our granddaughter that her WFox Swift 2 may have battery problems in a year or two. That one gets hammered daily and hourly. Interestingly, considering the current debate around mobiles in schools, Gd’s Grammar school trusts students to bring theirs into lessons and copy notes to them.

I'm out.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.