Tech Android Talk Wileyfox.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Richard 4 days, 21 hours ago. This post has been viewed 235 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1412
    • @bullstuff2
      Forumite Coins: 298

I am surprised to see the site still accepting my access and still advertising all WF phones. However, a closer look shows every phone in the inventory as “Out of Stock.”

I have emailed them for information: the contact list is still operational. Not too worried about our two phones, both > 2 years old. But Gdaughter’s phone is new.

I will be very surprised to receive an answer.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 270

I’m afraid at some point all WF users may have to resort to rooting them in order to get stock Android and its updates. This looks to be the appropriate detructions. Perhaps Steve or someone else who is familiar with the black art of rooting could take a look and advise the best path to follow:

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

Ive not rooted a phone since the htc 1 M8, probably 3 years or more.

You’ll need to go over to xda forums and see how well the WS phones are supported. I’d bet they have a little corner over there. With clever folk porting 3rd party roms.

However id advise against romming unless it’s a last resort. Once you had to rom to get the most oit of a phone, now you’ll no doubt make the camera worse, as 3rd parties only have access to the basic aosp camera drivers. All oems now have propriery software for imaging, that is private.

Also a lot of media apps, and others, including banking apps, won’t work on a rooted devices.

Lee will back me up when I say I was a big advocate of root and romming. It was the first thing I’d do with a new device. But the M8 was my last, that is when the cons really outnumbered the pros.

I so miss CM though, better than stock, and way better than anything Samsung htc sony etc…. Ever made. CM improved my Samsung and many htc devices.

Never romed a moto device or WF, the later because it had it baked in.

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps

Thanks for the forum suggestion. I took a look they seem reasonably well supported including the ‘official’ camera apk. I’ll certainly hold off for now, but it looks like a viable backstop.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1412
    • @bullstuff2

Thanks for the links Ed and Steve. I have put both in Firefox Pocket as a possible way out if needed. If I do manage to receive any information from the WF website, and/or an Email reply, I will post results here.

Boris
    • Total Posts 128
    • @boris
      Forumite Coins: 68

LATEST NEWS

Wileyfox ‘will continue’ despite administration

Clicky

“We’re restructuring the whole business and will continue,” Coombes said.

“Russian bank Promsvyazbank (PSB) collapsing in December was a surprise, we’ve been forced into this until we can fix it.

“Customer service will continue in regards to repairs and updates. There will be a couple of days where we cease operations due to administrative process.

“Future phone launches will only be pushed back a couple of days, the Wileyfox Pro will be released this month.”

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1412
    • @bullstuff2

Thanks Boris, that appears to be good news, although some comments there are still worrying. In view of some of those comments: if our  WF phones die, we will be reluctant to replace them with another WF phone. I think the company will struggle now, damage is done.

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps

Thanks Boris, I wish WF luck. Their product is well-built both from a software and hardware standpoint. As a new WF owner I’m impressed with both their customer support and their timely security updates. Re damage to the company, I do not  think the average Joe pays that much attention to company business news and that is where WF were pitched – certainly not a bleeding edge techie appealing product. Just solid with a good general choice of specs. I certainly did not get too worried about Russian financing much better that than Middle-East sub-rosa ISIS supporting countries. (most of those being in the footie business!)

Richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 679
    • @sawboman

I suspect that WF management were caught between a rock and a hard place when it came to financing. With experience they might regret relying on the previous source of finance. What most people would desire from a financier is stability, they did not get that from their Russian bank. Would they have got it elsewhere? I am not sure that they would. Bank financing does not fill me with happiness., relying on a foreign bank would be more likely to cause me nightmares.

I agree with ED on one point, if they can re-establish themselves on the market and with a good campaign behind them, their customer service track record should paper over any cracks. Most punters will not want to know about financial services games.

All of that said, I understood that the bank in question did encounter some uniquely Russian issues, though RBS created some uniquely UK ones and Barclays ploughed (and tilled?) the furrow Ed despises. My previous experience of contact with Russian businesses would make me avoid anything within Russia but everyone’s experience guides them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 3
Sawboman, JayCeeDee, tina10
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,319, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm