Tech Windows Talk Win 10 Backup

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 4 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 871 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 270

In another thread I posted that I was getting fed-up with Acronis’s speed and carp backup version control. If you are also in the market for a better backup solution the ‘Pro’s’ straw-poll choice is Macrium Reflect.

[edit] Source the Windows programmer site — Code Project. Runner up was Aomei BackerUpper

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by Ed P.

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg
      Forumite Coins: 137

How did you know this was on my To Do List?

I’m going to have a look at the freebie.

EDIT well it’s much faster than the Windows Backup. It’s shovelling data at 60Mbps on my N connection.

The disk pool on the server is getting a workout but it’s not slowed down the Glacier backup going in the opposite direction.

This might be a keeper, we’ll see how the daily incrementals go.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Dave Rice.

Boris
    • Total Posts 128
    • @boris
      Forumite Coins: 68

TODO Free is my personal choice

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg

Full Backup finished in just over 2 hours and it’s 2/3rd the size of the Windows one.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385
    • @blacklion1725
      Forumite Coins: 88

Interesting – does it need a boot usb to restore a full image? I must admit the W7 Backup and Restore is dead handy if you have a backup on the same machine (no usb needed) – but that (Macrium) is quite a space saving.

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg

Yes and so does ToDo. Both include a routine that will create the WinPE USB key for you.

I’m giving ToDo a go overnight for an encrytped backup of certain folders on the server to an external USB drive.

Meanwhile Glacier is still chugging away in the background.

What all this is showing me is just how slick the Synology apps are.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385
    • @blacklion1725
      Forumite Coins: 88

Thanks Dave – will have a look. Must check how the WD and Seagate freebie Acronis versions work these days too.

For a system image restore, the windows (W7 backup and restore) tool has served me pretty well – have had more failures than success with W10 reset features……especially on tablets but also on PCs/laptops. Very badly implemented (i.e. inconsistent – if it works it works – if not it leaves you in a worse state than when you started).

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg

My T420’s SSD is 216GB with 64.5GB used.

Acronis has just done another full backup (that’s how I scheduled it, incremental for the next 6 days) and did it in 2 hours 13 at 44GB and reported 52 Mbps (but task manager said 32 Mbps) over the wireless connection.

The server backed up the 435GB with 48GB used system drive to a 34.5GB file in 24 minutes to a USB 2 5,400 rpm HDD. IIRC it was about 250 Mbps but I didn’t look too closely. So you would expect it to fly on a USB 3 drive or over a Gigabit connection to a NAS.

Richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 678
    • @sawboman
      Forumite Coins: 268

Synology users might like to read this link, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/06/cisco_intel_decline_to_link_product_warning_to_faulty_chip/

It appears that Intel have produced some chips with a built in life limitation. I was not sure how to start a new thread.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 0
No users are currently active
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,317, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm