Win 10 Backup

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Win 10 Backup

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 1,099

In another thread I posted that I was getting fed-up with Acronis’s speed and carp backup version control. If you are also in the market for a better backup solution the ‘Pro’s’ straw-poll choice is Macrium Reflect.

[edit] Source the Windows programmer site — Code Project. Runner up was Aomei BackerUpper

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Ed P.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Coins: 724

How did you know this was on my To Do List?

I’m going to have a look at the freebie.

EDIT well it’s much faster than the Windows Backup. It’s shovelling data at 60Mbps on my N connection.

The disk pool on the server is getting a workout but it’s not slowed down the Glacier backup going in the opposite direction.

This might be a keeper, we’ll see how the daily incrementals go.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Dave Rice.

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Coins: 298

TODO Free is my personal choice

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Full Backup finished in just over 2 hours and it’s 2/3rd the size of the Windows one.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Coins: 401

Interesting – does it need a boot usb to restore a full image? I must admit the W7 Backup and Restore is dead handy if you have a backup on the same machine (no usb needed) – but that (Macrium) is quite a space saving.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Yes and so does ToDo. Both include a routine that will create the WinPE USB key for you.

I’m giving ToDo a go overnight for an encrytped backup of certain folders on the server to an external USB drive.

Meanwhile Glacier is still chugging away in the background.

What all this is showing me is just how slick the Synology apps are.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Coins: 401

Thanks Dave – will have a look. Must check how the WD and Seagate freebie Acronis versions work these days too.

For a system image restore, the windows (W7 backup and restore) tool has served me pretty well – have had more failures than success with W10 reset features……especially on tablets but also on PCs/laptops. Very badly implemented (i.e. inconsistent – if it works it works – if not it leaves you in a worse state than when you started).

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

My T420’s SSD is 216GB with 64.5GB used.

Acronis has just done another full backup (that’s how I scheduled it, incremental for the next 6 days) and did it in 2 hours 13 at 44GB and reported 52 Mbps (but task manager said 32 Mbps) over the wireless connection.

The server backed up the 435GB with 48GB used system drive to a 34.5GB file in 24 minutes to a USB 2 5,400 rpm HDD. IIRC it was about 250 Mbps but I didn’t look too closely. So you would expect it to fly on a USB 3 drive or over a Gigabit connection to a NAS.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Coins: 925

Synology users might like to read this link, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/06/cisco_intel_decline_to_link_product_warning_to_faulty_chip/

It appears that Intel have produced some chips with a built in life limitation. I was not sure how to start a new thread.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Before panic ensues it’s highly unlikely anyone here will be affected.

Here’s a list of CPU used by model http://tinyurl.com/hkydnol

6 models affected: RS2416+/RS2416RP+, RS815+/RS815RP+, DS2415+, DS1815+, DS1515+, DS415+,

These are all 4 or 8 bay models aimed at businesses needing large amounts of storage.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Back to backups.

The ToDo (full) file backup ran last night. 17 GB to a 15 GB in 17 mins to the USB2 external drive.

I wasn’t expecting spectacular compression as it’s mostly already compressed files like jpgs.

The incremental tasks run today / tonight.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Dave, I have been badly bitten by an Acronis incremental backup failing to restore. (It complained of a ‘missing’ root backup, and it ignored intervening full backups in this calculation). I suggest you do a full verify on your most recent incremental backup just to check that it does not barf at you just when you need it!  I have no idea WHY it complained of a missing backup but that could be any one of a number of things.

I found its behaviour very worrying, and resulted in my initiating this thread. Unreliable and backups are not words that mesh together very well.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Thanks ED.

I intended to let them run for a week and then see where we are. I have a spare HDD knocking around to try some restores to.

I’ve decided to let ToDo have a go at the imaging too and we’ll see how it compares to Acronis. Just going to set that up now.

I cleaned up the drive first, so it’s 27 GB used on a 465 GB drive, 22 minutes to a 17 GB file on the USB2 drive. But I also set compression and encryption which I didn’t with Acronis.

Either way they are both quick enough for my needs and ToDo can deal with the 2 different jobs in the free edition. I see however that there’s a new version of Macrium Reflect coming on 26th Feb but I’m not sure it’ll ever be worth £48, especially with ToDo at £23 if I ever need more than the Free can do.

Let’s get a weeks worth done and some test restores.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Dave Rice.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I do not think a full restore is required. In my case it barfed  almost as soon as I tried to do a restore

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Todays Macrium laptop incremental image, 1.3 MB in <5 mins over wireless.

I only noticed because I had a notification pop up.

This is my everyday working laptop so likely to have more changes than most.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Dave – apologies for the necro-post, but what was the final result of your deliberations?

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

On my laptop I use EaseUS ToDo Backup Home to do a weekly system backup and a daily file backup to a share on my Win 10 (ex WHS) server via WiFi. During a recent EaseUs sale I actually paid (£17) for a licence. This let me set up some email notifications. No drives are mapped, it creates a temporary network path on the fly, so should be safe from ransomware.

It’s pretty quick. The weekly file backup cycle starts with 1.57 GB on a Sunday which takes 3 mins. The daily incremental takes 35 seconds. Today’s incremental of the system backup was nearly 5GB in 5 minutes. I never notice either in progress. I must add my WiFi can hit 250 Mbps+ when moving large files so that’s got to help.

The Win 10 Server is mainly used as a backup target, but does have some legacy archive stuff on there. It uses ToDo Free to do a daily full backup of the system disk to a local 2.5″ USB drive. 20GB in 25 minutes. It does a daily incremental backup of the files on the Storage Spaces array (excluding the Backup target folder for other devices).

It’s quite likely I will be retiring the Win 10 server soon, so the targets will move to a Synology server.

EDIT In fact I’ve done just that. The old Windows server will now be shutdown forever. I changed the target in the ToDo tasks and it offered to move the backup files for me (I’d already done that on a wired connection).

Might stick it on E-Bay.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Dave Rice.

Kumagoro
    Participant
    @cobrakai
    Forumite Coins: 5

It seems Macrium Reflect’s free version is free for commercial use now as well.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I tested the common free ones and found that Macrium worked for what I  needed.  Which was to do remote full disk shadow copies which I could then launch in hyper v.

Plus they are a British company I think.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I did try Macrium Reflect and whilst it did all that ToDo could, I preferred the way ToDo goes about it.

I set up a customers PC to use W10 system backup with a Synology as the target. I can see it’s lacking and in a way I’d identified before with W7. The backup is great, but the files are gradually taking up as much space on the Synology NAS as it can despite me telling it not to. I can restore the PC to the first time it was backed up, 15th December last year!

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Coins: 1,128

I never trust a  product that pivots to a free model  on the consumer side of stuff. Usually means adds to support, and eventually death. Or rather not enough is paying to support the endeavor.

If me [incert software] went form paid to free, that  would be my que to start the search for its replacement. Free is fine, but dropping the paid option is never a good longterm sign.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.