Win 10 Backup

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Win 10 Backup

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

In another thread I posted that I was getting fed-up with Acronis’s speed and carp backup version control. If you are also in the market for a better backup solution the ‘Pro’s’ straw-poll choice is Macrium Reflect.

[edit] Source the Windows programmer site — Code Project. Runner up was Aomei BackerUpper

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Ed P.
Spread the love
Viewing 4 replies - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,559

Maybe so, but my rule still stand. If something is paid for, and flips biz model, it’s usually to try and save jobs, so add are injected, then the lay offs inevitably come 4 months later, so the updates slow….. And around it goes.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,066

The free version of ToDo is a cut down version of the paid for. It does much more than just the basics of backing up and restoring and will suit most people. https://uk.easeus.com/backup-software/personal.html

The paid for version adds Outlook support, system transfer and email notification. I paid £17 to upgrade in one of their sales (it’s usually £50) and includes lifetime upgrades. Or you can buy on a subscription basis.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,730

The major differences between FOSS software and paid-for stuff is usually the documentation.

I have found only a handful of FOSS software with decent intelligible documentation that addresses typical user issues. Some attempts at documentation verge on works written by the Devil – almost deliberately ambiguous or misleading, a great majority assume a prior depth of knowledge that rarely exists.

I could add support, but some like VCL have excellent support, while for others it is just non-existent along with the documentation! In fact you can pretty much guarantee that poor FOSS documentation leads directly to a carp support group.

[EDIT] I would like to thank those who have given their views on the packages. I’m going to dump Acronis and try Macrium Reflect, as from my reading it addresses one of the major issues I had with Acronis — viz suspending Shadow Copy if something else such as a VM required access .

7.1 includes a default 15 minute VSS timeout that will cause a “VSS Timeout” error message in the log followed by a retry without VSS Writers, or termination:”

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by Ed P.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,730

In my previous post I of course meant VLC not VCL (I do not even know if the latter exists!)

Viewing 4 replies - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love