Tech Windows Talk Win 10 Backup

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 4 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 872 times

Viewing 9 posts - 10 through 18 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg
      Forumite Coins: 137

Before panic ensues it’s highly unlikely anyone here will be affected.

Here’s a list of CPU used by model http://tinyurl.com/hkydnol

6 models affected: RS2416+/RS2416RP+, RS815+/RS815RP+, DS2415+, DS1815+, DS1515+, DS415+,

These are all 4 or 8 bay models aimed at businesses needing large amounts of storage.

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg

Back to backups.

The ToDo (full) file backup ran last night. 17 GB to a 15 GB in 17 mins to the USB2 external drive.

I wasn’t expecting spectacular compression as it’s mostly already compressed files like jpgs.

The incremental tasks run today / tonight.

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 270

Dave, I have been badly bitten by an Acronis incremental backup failing to restore. (It complained of a ‘missing’ root backup, and it ignored intervening full backups in this calculation). I suggest you do a full verify on your most recent incremental backup just to check that it does not barf at you just when you need it!  I have no idea WHY it complained of a missing backup but that could be any one of a number of things.

I found its behaviour very worrying, and resulted in my initiating this thread. Unreliable and backups are not words that mesh together very well.

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg

Thanks ED.

I intended to let them run for a week and then see where we are. I have a spare HDD knocking around to try some restores to.

I’ve decided to let ToDo have a go at the imaging too and we’ll see how it compares to Acronis. Just going to set that up now.

I cleaned up the drive first, so it’s 27 GB used on a 465 GB drive, 22 minutes to a 17 GB file on the USB2 drive. But I also set compression and encryption which I didn’t with Acronis.

Either way they are both quick enough for my needs and ToDo can deal with the 2 different jobs in the free edition. I see however that there’s a new version of Macrium Reflect coming on 26th Feb but I’m not sure it’ll ever be worth £48, especially with ToDo at £23 if I ever need more than the Free can do.

Let’s get a weeks worth done and some test restores.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Dave Rice.

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps

I do not think a full restore is required. In my case it barfed  almost as soon as I tried to do a restore

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg

Todays Macrium laptop incremental image, 1.3 MB in <5 mins over wireless.

I only noticed because I had a notification pop up.

This is my everyday working laptop so likely to have more changes than most.

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps

Dave – apologies for the necro-post, but what was the final result of your deliberations?

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg

On my laptop I use EaseUS ToDo Backup Home to do a weekly system backup and a daily file backup to a share on my Win 10 (ex WHS) server via WiFi. During a recent EaseUs sale I actually paid (£17) for a licence. This let me set up some email notifications. No drives are mapped, it creates a temporary network path on the fly, so should be safe from ransomware.

It’s pretty quick. The weekly file backup cycle starts with 1.57 GB on a Sunday which takes 3 mins. The daily incremental takes 35 seconds. Today’s incremental of the system backup was nearly 5GB in 5 minutes. I never notice either in progress. I must add my WiFi can hit 250 Mbps+ when moving large files so that’s got to help.

The Win 10 Server is mainly used as a backup target, but does have some legacy archive stuff on there. It uses ToDo Free to do a daily full backup of the system disk to a local 2.5″ USB drive. 20GB in 25 minutes. It does a daily incremental backup of the files on the Storage Spaces array (excluding the Backup target folder for other devices).

It’s quite likely I will be retiring the Win 10 server soon, so the targets will move to a Synology server.

EDIT In fact I’ve done just that. The old Windows server will now be shutdown forever. I changed the target in the ToDo tasks and it offered to move the backup files for me (I’d already done that on a wired connection).

Might stick it on E-Bay.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Dave Rice.

Kumagoro
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5
    • @cobrakai
      Forumite Coins: 0

It seems Macrium Reflect’s free version is free for commercial use now as well.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I tested the common free ones and found that Macrium worked for what I  needed.  Which was to do remote full disk shadow copies which I could then launch in hyper v.

Plus they are a British company I think.

Viewing 9 posts - 10 through 18 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 1
Sawboman
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,318, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm