Tech Windows Talk Win 10 Backup

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 4 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 873 times

Viewing 7 posts - 19 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg
      Forumite Coins: 137

I did try Macrium Reflect and whilst it did all that ToDo could, I preferred the way ToDo goes about it.

I set up a customers PC to use W10 system backup with a Synology as the target. I can see it’s lacking and in a way I’d identified before with W7. The backup is great, but the files are gradually taking up as much space on the Synology NAS as it can despite me telling it not to. I can restore the PC to the first time it was backed up, 15th December last year!

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

I never trust a  product that pivots to a free model  on the consumer side of stuff. Usually means adds to support, and eventually death. Or rather not enough is paying to support the endeavor.

If me [incert software] went form paid to free, that  would be my que to start the search for its replacement. Free is fine, but dropping the paid option is never a good longterm sign.

Drezha
    Participant
    • Total Posts 312
    • @drezha
      Forumite Coins: 102

I never trust a product that pivots to a free model on the consumer side of stuff. Usually means adds to support, and eventually death. Or rather not enough is paying to support the endeavor. If me [incert software] went form paid to free, that would be my que to start the search for its replacement. Free is fine, but dropping the paid option is never a good longterm sign.

Seems to work for FOSS 😉

At the minute, I just use Synology as my backup (i.e. sync to Synology and then back up to Dropbox and hard drive from there). I should look into getting my 3TB external back connected to my PC, but I thought it broke the other day and replaced it with an internal one, but I’ll need to check it.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

Maybe so, but my rule still stand. If something is paid for, and flips biz model, it’s usually to try and save jobs, so add are injected, then the lay offs inevitably come 4 months later, so the updates slow….. And around it goes.

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg
      Forumite Coins: 137

The free version of ToDo is a cut down version of the paid for. It does much more than just the basics of backing up and restoring and will suit most people. https://uk.easeus.com/backup-software/personal.html

The paid for version adds Outlook support, system transfer and email notification. I paid £17 to upgrade in one of their sales (it’s usually £50) and includes lifetime upgrades. Or you can buy on a subscription basis.

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 270

The major differences between FOSS software and paid-for stuff is usually the documentation.

I have found only a handful of FOSS software with decent intelligible documentation that addresses typical user issues. Some attempts at documentation verge on works written by the Devil – almost deliberately ambiguous or misleading, a great majority assume a prior depth of knowledge that rarely exists.

I could add support, but some like VCL have excellent support, while for others it is just non-existent along with the documentation! In fact you can pretty much guarantee that poor FOSS documentation leads directly to a carp support group.

[EDIT] I would like to thank those who have given their views on the packages. I’m going to dump Acronis and try Macrium Reflect, as from my reading it addresses one of the major issues I had with Acronis — viz suspending Shadow Copy if something else such as a VM required access .

7.1 includes a default 15 minute VSS timeout that will cause a “VSS Timeout” error message in the log followed by a retry without VSS Writers, or termination:”

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Ed P.

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 270

In my previous post I of course meant VLC not VCL (I do not even know if the latter exists!)

Viewing 7 posts - 19 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 3
tina10, JayCeeDee, Sawboman
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,318, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm