Windows 7 updates?

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Windows 7 updates?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by johnbarry 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Coins: 45

A domestic dispute last year means I have no TV access in the living room, and I needed to watch Ch 4 for viewing F1. Since Kodi has been screwed, Ch 4 is my only method, and “My 4” won’t work on my linux computer so I concluded Windoze was the only solution. My spare T61 Lenovo was draughted in for the task, Win 7 Ultimate was installed, I bought a licence off Ebay, and got it made “fully legal”. Yesterday I got everything updated and an AV installed. Whilst watching the replay yesterday, it kept freezing up, so eventually I shut down to get outside and work. Later I returned and watched what I wanted. Afterwards, at shutdown, Windows proceeded to install 10 updates. Likewise, the live highlights show quickly deteriorated into a static picture. I closed the browser, retired to the bedroom, and managed to catch the start on “Tamara’s” TV. Immediately after the finish, I retired to outside work.

Later I switched on the T61, and was able to watch the post race chatter. Afterwards, I shut down, to find another 10 updates to be installed.

Is it these blasted updates screwing my viewing or what. If so, I will stop further updates before the next race, since it won’t be used for anything else.

Les.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Coins: 1,054

It is some time since I ran Windows 7, but I remember that it was often slow to get any updates. I used to try to get them done under my command rather than waiting for the machine to just take over. I am going to guess that the copy of Windows 7 you installed had a lot of updates missing so catch up was going to be the order of the day. They can delay real time action if the machine or the band width is restricted. Why not let it go ahead with updating when nothing critical is in the wind so that it will be ready come a more important task? I pull my side machines out and manage a trawl for updates so that I can complete them in ‘me-off-the-machine mode’. One Windows 10 portable can be especially slow, but it is a fairly slow machine anyway and is the only one still spinning rust.

Is there anyway to resolve the domestic turf war, so the normal service may be resumed?

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Coins: 827

I agree with the idea of turning Windows on regularly to let it update. I’ve been caught out many times onsite when the laptop I use on the road decides now is the time to update. Sometimes even an update waiting for a reboot can cause havoc.

Microsoft security updates are released on the second Tuesday of each month, so some time over the second weekend of the month would be my favourite.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Thanks guys. I have not used Windoze since XP about 8 years ago. Second Tuesday, I will try to remember that. I guess I should make a point of switching it on well before I need it. I can’t see any other use for it than the F1, and if Kodi gets better, that will get the job again.

Cheers, Les.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

While Patch Tuesday is the big day every month, you might still need to play catch-up. Often a later bundle can update some previously missed patches, but sometimes they do have to be added in sequence. I would try putting the machine on at sundry odd non critical times before the May patch event to ensure that as many missing patches are added before a critical event comes along. Depending on the age of your install disk there could be a number of years worth of patches still owing and at ten per go round it could take a while…

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Coins: 1,441

Just back for a session unconnected with Health: fed up with calls, neighbours etc. Can’t take a stroll in the village without being stopped.

Patch Tuesday failed Win 7 KB4093113 (Preview Rollup) on both my desktop and SWMBO’s lappy. Tried it again, worked on lappy, not desktop. Then lappy decided to update the actual Rollup (not preview). I will try again soon.

But I do recall the never ending nightmare that was 100’s of updates onto a new Win7 Install.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Bob, it was pretty much the same with at least one windows 10 update, though it might equally well have been a Windows 7 update on the road from Vista to 10. I think I had to do something like 200 updates before it was happy.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Just arrived here again after responding to Richards own Windoze moan, and it seems everything you have added here is what has happened today, with a 138 update install!

Les.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Coins: 501

Well done, Les – hope that was on a fast connection.😀

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Coins: 1,009

I thought I would tag on.

I have updated Windows 7 it installed (successful) the below

2018-04 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4093118)

Installation date: ‎20/‎04/‎2018 19:54

Installation status: Successful.

Now after a restart it downloads again (stating 31KB)

2018-04 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4093118)

On shut down it installs, then it downloads again, on shutdown it installs and so on.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.