Windows 7 Users

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk Windows 7 Users

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

If you are a Win7 user and updates is broken, then you may need to read this.

link

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 1,649

Just tried that Ed.

WARNING for others on Win7: I don’t have mine set for Automatic Updates. After reading Your link, I brought up CPanel and clicked Windows Update (‘cos I can never leave things alone) and all I got was a frozen control Panel with endlessly rotating circles. It was stuck like that, so I had to Restart. Not touching it again!

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 413

Read this :- Click

Microsoft forgot the renew a file Windows\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\authcab.cab in Windows 7 Update, that sets an expire date December 3, 2017.

From December 4, 2017 the Update Search in Windows 7 (and Windows Server 2008 R2) failed with error 0x80248015.

I believe they have released a fix now ?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/microsoft-update-win-7-pro-32-bit/662c8071-b5ec-4617-a105-a667709d1f05?messageId=12cf0f35-8f66-4e31-84f5-8712f3f98366&auth=1

– but don’t have anything Win 7 to see if it now works.

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

That’s Win7 32 bit, I have 64. I’ll wait until Microsoft puts it out live.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,541

Bob, M$ seem to have fixed the issue. I just updated a Win7 64bit vm machine that I had not used for a while. ( A games box)

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Not fixed on mine Ed, and M$ are disowning responsibilty, no Fix offered but the usual Cmd. Prompt pantomime which fixes nothing. I tried Stopping Windows Update and BITS in Services, restarting computer and starting those again – no joy. I found my own fix, after much head scratching:

Last 7/64 Update was KB2177467, the “2017-11 Preview of the monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 64 based systems” I thought this might be the problem.

I could not access Windows Update in Control Panel, it just froze the system, ergo I could not uninstall that KB. So I realised that I had installed that on Dec. 2nd, and reset System Time to Dec.1st, restarted and Windows Update worked, showing KB3177467b as an Optional update. I hid it, reset Windows Time, restarted and Update is accessible. I might add that, before Update froze, ALL my Updates had vanished from the List, which was blank. They came back after the process just described.

So, for anyone else having this problem with 7/64, apply the Time Fix. (I don’t know if it applies to 7/32 as well) Now I read in Windows 7 Forum today that one of their guys has found the same solution. Which begs the Question: why have a Preview of an Update anyway? Answering my own question, I will not bother with another Preview.

I also learned that KB3177467 carried a feature which was corrupt, and switched off Update. Thank you, Microshaft.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.