Windows apps on Apple Mac

HOME Forums Tech Apple Talk Windows apps on Apple Mac

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jukebox
    Participant
    @jukebox
    Forumite Coins: 189

My son has just bought an Apple iMac and wants to run Coral Draw on it. A quick browse suggests using either a Virtual Machine or something like Winebottle, neither of which I have any experience of. Any advice would be very welcome. Looking at VMs there is a free one called VirtualBox and several others which cost, but free would be preferable!

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Jukebox.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Coins: 279

Virtualbox isn’t to bad when I used to use it. I did however at some point stump up the cash for Parallels Desktop. I didn’t really find that this ran the apps any quicker, but it did allow me to use the Windows apps seamlessly with the Mac apps – I can’t recall what the feature is now, but it’s on their current website as seamless integration. Basically you can run the Windows app and it appears “as a Mac window” – i.e it’s in the toolbar and you don’t even know it’s a Windows program, other than the Parallels logo on the app icon. I don’t recall Virtualbox having that feature, so you would have to switch to different desktops.

There’s always the Bootcamp option – though you have to reboot to use Windows apps then.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 1,315

I run Corel Draw on a Mac using the VMWare equivalent to Parallels. Parallels had a better reputation for speed and games but VMWare have now released a new version for the Mac. (Fusion – but I have not tried it, the old one is good enough for my ancient Mac Pro usage of Windows 7)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.