Forumite

Windows Tablet

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Windows Tablet

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Can this tablet be used like a desktop PC and favourite programs be installed/used

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,745

It says it has a full version of Windows (not the slimmed down RT) and has ab Intel chip. So it should work as a normal pc, just install a keyboard and mouse.

Though it will be slow. On the plus side if it doesn’t fit your needs, amazon will take it back no questions asked.

For that type of money you can get an i5 thinkpad refeb of ebay. It would smoke this thing, and be far more flexible.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 4,209

+

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,749

I have a Lenovo Android 8″ tablet and bought my gdaughter a 10″ Dragon tablet at the same time. Her 1o” was slow, as are all budget tablets below iPad spec, but the resolution was carp, compared to the Lenovo and Hudl 8″ I also have. The Dragon was replaced by a Thinkpad laptop as Steve says. IMO tablets are fine if that’s what you want as occasional backup for a laptop or desktop, especially when linked to them and your phone via a Google account. However I would never contemplate one as a main PC: some of the tasks on them are painfully slow. And I would not buy a Windows tablet anyway: android uses much less of everything.

John, have you read the Amazon Reviews and the Questions? This is one of the Answers to a Question about Resolution:

..my answer to your question the resolution is good however think twice before you purchase, it is very slow and for some reason loses hard drive space, if it wasn’t for the spare card I would have no space to load programs, I had to return my unit and all they did was remove the windows ten and reload it after about ten days the hard drive started to lose space again and I had to reset it once more,hope this helps
    By c.w.terry on 20 October 2018

Sounds like a memory leak, or background processes that don’t stop? – maybe others will know.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 3,035

Thanks Duke

I looked at a i5 thinkpad too much like a laptop. I was after something I can use such as microsoft money paint shop, banking, forumite etc, just my small programs.
    I have no use for a tablet I would use it to sit in my armchair (at times) and dabble with the above.

Thanks Dave

Thanks Bob

Maybe as an occasional backup for a laptop or desktop, but the review puts a dampner on it.

I assume you can’t use Windows programs on an Android? hence looking at the  Windows 10 Fusion5.

Not keen on the slow bit, but then it’s not a desktop.

?????????

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

The Duke
    @sgb101

You can’t, but there are apps that cover the majority of things on android. Mostly free too.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Duke

I was thinking of fluctuating from Desktop to tablet with the same, what I save on tablet can be used on desktop n visa.

Cheers
    John

The Duke
    @sgb101

In my experiance windows tablet mode is horrific, my girl and boy (11 and 17) have the lenovo thinkpad yoga 12, it has 8gb ram and and i5, ssd, it’s still shite, so power isn’t the issue, it’s just a crap tablet os. However as a laptop it’s brilliant.

The issue with a cheap atom tablet, is as a “desktop” it will also be shite. So you will get the worst of both worlds

If you really want a win tablet, up your budget to about 240 and get one othr yoga 12 (mentioned above) off ebay referbished.

There are 4gb versions too for a bit cheaper. Which will be more than fine. You will be throwing money away on anything other than a windows surface tablet, and still then the tablet aspect is poor. And they ain’t cheap.

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 1,918

For me tablets sit in No Man’s Land.    Too big to really be portable as with a mobile and too small and under-powered for any serious work.    For me its a large screen mobile for portability and anything else a laptop.   Now currently have four older T410 and one R500 Lenovo laptops around the house and quite a few spares (R61’s , T61’s) not in regular use.    All rattle along at everything I use.    I still keep any eye out for last minute T410’s and T420’s auctions.   Can’t resist a bargain that no-one else seems to have spotted.  Got my last T410 with an 2nd gen i5 in it for £68 inc del and it was in superb condition.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 8,773

I’m not familiar with this particular tablet, but many are now struggling with Windows updates as the latest update increases ram and disk requirements.

Anniversary update needs 2GB of ram 16 GB of disk space and a 1GHz cpu for desktop compatibility.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I repeat that I would not buy a Windows tablet John, and others here say the same in different ways. Android works better and takes up much less storage and RAM.

If you have a Google account on your PC, whether that is by Gmail or just an account, you can link a tablet/phone/whatever android device you like, to the PC. We have a Windows desktop, Windows laptop, 2 android phones, Hudl and Lenovo tablets. All are linked and networked, I can access SWMBO’s phone and laptop, she can access my phone and tablets but not the desktop. (thankfully! some things are sacred!) She can access her Google account on phone and laptop, I can access my Google account on desktop, phones and tablets. We have linked our Google photos across devices: when she takes a pic, it comes to mine. And vice-versa.

It’s an interconnected home and it makes things easier.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

The Duke
    @sgb101

Push bullet is one of the best apps going. Makes it very easy to copy and paste, send files form android to Windows.

App on phone/tablet (as many devices as you like) and a browser plug in on chrome.

Also it lests you see and send texts from any device or pc. It’s a brilliant app. It’s on all my devices. My main use is to send passwords from device to decve via copy paste, as I hate the times I need to write a long password, so I copy and send it in two clicks. It’s also encrypted.

The rest I use Google’s service like bob. Between the two services, I can use android, Windows and chrome os devices, always just picking up where I left off. Probably both work with ios and osx, but I have no experiance with apple stuff.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Duke

Had a look (on ebay) at Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 12 i5-5200U 2.7GHz see if I can get some ebay sales to up my limit.

Thanks VFM
    That’s a point about size anything bigger than a tablet (8″ is better but Windows only come in 10″ +)
    I like the smallness for a second, anything bigger I have a Desktop, it’s to use in my armchair and too much to hold, I need to bring it up to me rather bend to it etc.

Thanks Ed
    Another floor with updates. At least the Yoga has possible 128GB SSD.

Thanks Bob

I agree Android works better (based on, I have never used other than Android)
    It’s a Windows tablet I have no knowledge of, hence this thread

I do have gmail but other than emails, you lose me with linking.

Cheers
    John

The Duke
    @sgb101

By linking Bob just means you gan log into Gmail on any device and your done. There is linking, you just sign in. If on android, download the app, if on Windows download chrom and sign in.

If you download Google’s Office apps on your tablet /phone, you will get full access to all your docs and stiff on a pc, when you sign into chrome. As all docs, spreedsheets auto save to dooogle drive. So no matter your os, you just sign in via an app or browser and it’s all there.

You can install Google drive on Windows, but I haven’t. It’s easy enough to use without it. Using it actually creates an extra layer of complexity.

Google give you a lot of few drive space, but even if you fill that it’s dirt cheap to expand. Iicc 200gb is about £2 per month. That’s what I’m on iirc. It use to be cheaper 5 doors usd for a year for 100gb. But that stopped. I was grandfather’s in for a few extra years but once I hit the 101gb I had to move to the next tier and lost my sweet deal. Lol.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Duke

I will look into it.

Cheers
    John

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Just to say

I ran out of time (Fathers day) so I said I will try the Windows Tablet.

as Duke Say’s amazon will take it back no questions asked.

I also read a review where someone said they are talking the 2GB – 32GB this one is 4GB – 64GB it could be faster and hold more updates?

Cheers
    John

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Duke explains what I meant by linking John. Logging into any device you have with android and/or a Google searchbar, lets you access your Google account from any of those devices. If the device has Google but you have not used your account on it, just input your gmail or Google account into the searchbar.

An 8″ tablet is definitely easier to use than a 10″: I have taken Google photos with both of mine and it is easier to hold, although I prefer taking them with my phone. I also have Android Open Office on the phones and tablets, besides the desktop and laptop. I can print doc’s from any of these, although Google docs works just as well.

--- Robin Williams

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Bob

I will look into google accounts, that’s a thing I take photo on my mobile but they aren’t that good. I may get a beeter one on the Tablet. Just another option I didn’t think of, mmm maybe many more option to use a tablet.

I can’t be doing with laptops I can’t get the swipe (have to use a mouse) however I seem to swipe ok on a tablet and mobile.

Cheers
    John

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I always use a mouse with a laptop John, can’t use the swipe on a lappy and am more comfortable with the mouse. But, just as you say, I can use the swipe fine on phone or tablet. I suppose mouse on a lappy is what I’m used to, but swipe on the others is what I have had to do to use them.

Oldphart heads are funny places!

--- Robin Williams

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Cheers Bob

I thought it was me being left handed, maybe not.

Cheers
    John

The Duke
    @sgb101

I’m no foran of track pads. That’s why I always get think pads cos they have the red nipple thing.

No one likes the nipple thing, untill they use it for a while, then you just can’t go back.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!