World's first computer

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk World's first computer

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by D-Dan 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka
    Forumite Coins: 126

This just popped up in my YouTube recommendations. Maybe old news to some but new to me. I like a bit of mystery.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Coins: 470

There was a documentary about it some time back on discovery or 5 or Yesterday maybe. I believe it’s still on catch up somewhere.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by RSB.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

There was a documentary about it some time back on discovery or 5 or Yesterday maybe. I believe it’s still on catch up somewhere.

Will have to find it. A nice bit of mystery there 🙂

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Coins: 470

I think this is it although it has the same image as the video above so may be the same.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

I think this is it although it has the same image as the video above so may be the same.

What you linked is a full documentary. Very interesting, watching it now.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 733

What gets me is the obvious craftsmanship in putting together something requiring watchmakers skills (and eyesight) in an age where we previously thought they only had the most primitive tools. It is a great shame that the Romans (and Christians) deliberately destroyed stuff like this e.g. Aurelian burned the great library of Alexandria.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Coins: 28

Ed, they are still doing the same sort of stuff today. Look at all the deliberate destruction done by IS, getting rid of stuff offending them, but selling off the bits they could get armaments money for.

Les.

Margarita Stine
    Participant
    @itsmargarita
    Forumite Coins: 43

This is the very first time that I have seen this video. It is pretty interesting.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Coins: 648

Ed, you make the assumption that such acts were an act of policy by the people rather than an act of drunken, even if only power drunk bravado. Sadly the trend has long been a feature of invaders actions along with the actions of many celebrating hordes, look at the Nazi book burners.

The most appalling example of mob rule and the lowest level of behaviour is the ‘shrine’ to the thug who paid the price for his heinous crimes against OAPs. With a long history of trying to deprive others of their property, including his crime family stealing a widow’s home, he went to one place to many and was stopped. Now he has a band of sordid camp followers seeking vengeance for what he did to himself. Why the police are allowing it and not removing the trash left there I do not know. I can only hope that those ‘tribute payers’ are being photographed and logged for follow up action.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Richard. Reason: drafting improvement(?)

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 733

Richard, the Great Library burning(s)  are obviously too long ago to make any dogmatic statements. All I can do is quote history books, and point out that Roman actions were very different from those of the Western Allies in WWII for both Paris and Rome. Even Germany still has a lot of untouched monumental stuff from Roman times in what would have been front-line areas e.g. Trier

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Coins: 648

The point is that history is full of these highly destructive forces as sometimes second rate vandals invaded, wreaked and destroyed leaving ground to be recovered later. There is evidence that even brain surgery was practised, millennia back, but if the ‘inferior’ natives of an area had a culture, it was always to be despoiled and replaced by the ‘superior’ version proffered by the invader. Africa had its cultural areas but they were ignored, destroyed or abandoned as were those of South America, in fact every continent has seen such events. Alexander the (not so) Great is was seen in a very unflattering light in Iran for his vandalising the great history structures of Persia. Every historical invader tried to expunge the culture they encounter lest it became a basis for future trouble. The liberation of Europe followed on from a far less savoury episode while Germany and much of Europe was under ‘alternative management’. Then it was the current philosophy that came under attack as history well retells. Currently, I am uncertain about the ruthless restriction of wartime mementos and records as though the Nazi era should be wiped from record. It is part of the historical fabric of Europe. A tainted, soiled and stained part, but one that caused consequences. We have to understand historical contexts, if you were a Vandal, Thuggee, Roman, Greek or whatever, invading a land you would wish to subjugate the native population, so what better ways than to destroy all they held dear. Sadly such mindsets still exist, from the cultural destroyers of DAESH, through Boko Haram with their love of illness and objection to decease prevention so it runs lower and lower. The South London OAP robbing business still takes some beating in my book. It is a great illustration of what is still wrong with chunks of what some want to think of as society. Sick and depraved barely does it justice – justice being something for which they have nothing but contempt.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Coins: 176

And probably designed for OS:

παράθυρο 1

To err is human, but forgiveness is not Tory policy!

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Coins: 769

Yes I too seen the documentary about this. I probably got the link via MM. It’s a good doc.

Though I can’t recall where I seen it. It’s probably on YouTube.

This may be it.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by The Duke.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Coins: 137

There was a lecture about this, and it doesn’t hurt that the lecturer is easy on the eye.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.