• Creator
    Topic
    Bob Williams
    Participant

Been up to Beverley Hospital to see my consultant. The lesion on my pancreas is indeed cancerous and needs surgery ASAP: booked in for April 4th, my daughter’s birthday. They are going to remove part of the pancreas and my spleen, procedure complicated by the presence of my parastomal hernia on the same side. I am of course concerned, but I have got to know this consultant and respect the way he did not bs me. I will confront this as I have always faced everything, and fight it as hard as I can.

7 to 10 days in hospital, 3 months of limited movement afterwards. I am now trying to get help for my missus while I am incapacitated, as her HipOp is still giving problems. Family will help, but they all work and I don’t want them taking time off. Time for me to review Life matters I think. Tomorrow anther drive across the Humber Bridge, for Pre-assesment at Castle Hill Hospital, Hull.

After April I may be missing from here guys, whilst I mend.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
      I'm out.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      PlaneMan
      Participant

Bob, nerds live on.

Take care of yourself and I truly hope it goes much better than we all fear.

Live long and prosper, or just be a stubborn git and say ‘It’s not my time’. That’s worked for me so far.

Bob Williams
        Participant

Thanks Nolan. I don’t know exactly what may be left of my innards after April, I have left bits in several hospitals. Maybe I will have a bit more storage space.???

I'm out.

Ed P
          Participant

All the very best Bob, I hope that everything goes well.

JayCeeDee
            Participant

Good luck, Bob – puts my bit of medical silliness into context!!

Dave Rice
              Participant

Yes all the best Bob.

Drezha
                Participant

Sorry to hear it’s bad news – wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery!

"Everything looks interesting until you do it. Then you find it’s just another job" - Terry Pratchett

Tippon
                  Participant

Bloody hell, you don’t do things by halves, do you!

Kick its arse Bob ?

wasbit
                    Participant

I’ll say one thing about you Bob, you’ve got guts …. well you didn’t say anything about having them removed. 🙂

--
                      Regards
                      wasbit

Rig 1: Optiplex 3050 SFF
                      Rig 2: Asus ROG G20CB (rebuilt wreck)
                      Rig 3: HP Elitebook 8440P

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

johnbarry
                      Participant

Good luck Bob. sorry to hear what your’e going through and I hope you can sort help out for the missus.

Just lately cancer seems to be a bad un, the missus was diagnosed with breast cancer, she had op christmas eve (2017) now on chemo.

I have finally sorted out my bowel screening (in April)

Cheers
                        John

RSB
                        Keymaster

Good look with it all Bob, I’ll keep your seat warm while your recuperating when the time comes.

I’ll consider recruiting a writer for a month or so to do us some long posts ?

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Contact Admin: admin@forumite-chewey.co.uk

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Richard
                          Participant

I was sorry (and still am) to read of your troubles and of the long term recovery programme that you face. Like everyone else I can only wish you good luck and understand how, as a lynch pin of the family you will feel that you are casting them asunder. Your wife’s hip operation problems are clearly a real issue for you and it is a huge disappointment that her progress has been slow, painful and not really progress at all. I am sure that after all you have given to ‘your tribe’ they will do their very utmost to give you and their ‘family matriarch’ the support that you both will need.

@Johnbarry
                            , I was starting to think that because many of us are ‘senior members’ that was a factor in our encounters with the big C. Then yesterday I saw several women at the breast clinic one of whom I judged to be a somewhat younger than the average age of the others who were passing through. I assumed she was another patient – until she shocked me as she stood up to go with another woman who had come into the waiting room holding her progress note. The incomer was barely in her mid twenties.

johnbarry
                            Participant

It’s sad, that the age seems not to have any affect on who it hits.

Today though treatment seems at the upmost clearence rate, compared to years ago when my (60yr old) Auntie died of cancer.

There is loads of help given, it’s surprising how many people are affected. A lot you don’t realize untill you walk onto the chemo ward (male – female) and that’s only 1 hospital.

The missus has a 2 year recovery plan for treatment. We’ve never been to the hospital this much and loads of visits to go.

She now has a picc and has to have it flushed weekly.

Cheers
                              John

Alan Wood
                              Participant

Really sorry to hear the poor result but I can say that the big C can be beaten and you certainly show the strength of character needed. Will keep thinking of you while you recover.

Bob Williams
                                Participant

Thanks guys, your good wishes mean a lot.

I am following Tippon‘s advice: I mean to kick its arse. Cheers, Ryan.

Richard, the disease is no respecter of youth. My nephew lost his wife at 26 to breast cancer. Sadly, he was taken himself at 51 by lung cancer. As I said to my consultant when he explained matters, I have seen many close family go with this, by not being caught in time. So cut the bugga out, please.

JB: my eldest niece was a staff nurse who had a double mastectomy in her Forties, survived, went back to nursing. Had a stroke in her late Fifties and she is still here, still kicking. Goes to every Forest match, screams her lungs out. I am glad that you sorted out bowel screening, keep an eye on stuff.

Lee, there is only one of me. Finding a replacement is not possible.?

Stay well guys: the alternative is an unknown journey to who knows where. I want to be reincarnated as a Crow, flying over certain people coming in and out of Westminster and depositing substances upon their persons.???

Off again in 30 minutes for the pre-assessment.

I'm out.

JayCeeDee
                                  Participant

……then yesterday I saw several women at the breast clinic one of whom I judged to be a somewhat younger than the average age of the others who were passing through. I assumed she was another patient – until she shocked me as she stood up to go with another woman who had come into the waiting room holding her progress note. The incomer was barely in her mid twenties.

It’s probably fortuitous you weren’t attending the Marsden on the day I visited the Breast cancer unit for a check up. It was to follow up a scan that showed what they thought was an enlarged lymph gland near my left nipple. The best way to find out exactly what it was was a mammogram or similar test, at the breast cancer unit. You can imagine the faces in the waiting room when the nurse called for Mr John Davies!!!

dwynnehugh
                                    Participant

Bob – I wish you all the best and remember

Non illigitimus grindum

Good luck we will all be thinking of you.

Dave

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Alan Wood
                                      Participant

It’s probably fortuitous you weren’t attending the Marsden on the day I visited the Breast cancer unit for a check up. It was to follow up a scan that showed what they thought was an enlarged lymph gland near my left nipple. The best way to find out exactly what it was was a mammogram or similar test, at the breast cancer unit. You can imagine the faces in the waiting room when the nurse called for Mr John Davies!!!

I had a similar left breast tumour back in 1965 whilst serving out in Borneo.  Quick trip to Singapore, quick op and never worried about it again and that is over 50 years ago.

Bob Williams
                                        Participant

Suddenly had a flashback to my granddad, who died in 1954, a month after my 9th birthday. I was closer to granddad than my two older brothers, I saw him for the last time physically on the Christmas before he passed, lying in bed a shadow of his former self. His last words to me took a lot of getting out, but I recall them. “Remember me as I was. Keep me in your mind. If I have made you laugh, remember that. If I have told you something interesting, remember that. If you remember me, I am always there with you.”

No one has to believe this, but it’s clear in my memory (when I forgot most of what I did yesterday). I woke up during a night in April 1954 and saw him at the end of my bed. Smile, pinstripe suit he always wore, big silver pocket watch and chain, wire framed specs, same big mole on the left cheek that is on mine. He just faded away. I looked at my Mickey Mouse watch and it was just after 3:30 am. Went back to sleep and told my parents about that. They smiled and dismissed it as parents do, until later, when a telegram* from my uncle Clarence arrived: “Dad passed away at 3:30 this morning.”

*Remember them?

That is a true story. My parents’ reaction is one reason why I have always spoken to my kids and grandkids in adult terms, if I can, allowing for their age and individual sensitivities. It is why I am speaking to them all this weekend and using granddad’s words as a template. I fully intend to be here after my Op, but there is always Chance. Almost 50 years ago, I ‘died’ 3 times in a German operating theatre. I have no fear of it, but I want to live and see my grandkids have kids.

I'm out.

PlaneMan
                                          Participant

Bob, if you see the grim reaper, kick him in the plums and leg it!

Seriously though, I look forward to having you back and in better health.

Bob Williams
                                            Participant

Yes I think that calls a halt to my morbid stuff for now Nolan. Not saying anything about my health until after my return from hospital. I will not “Fear The Reaper” after the old Blue Oyster Cult song.

I'm out.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
                                            • The topic ‘Worst case scenario’ is closed to new replies.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                                            Forumite