Wow, blow me away

HOME Forums Tech Linux Talk Wow, blow me away

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Drezha 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha

Since I’ve been using Linux, it’s also been Ubuntu. I’ve dabbled with Mint and I’ve used Debian for servers and Raspbian for Pi’s, but at the core, it’s been plain standard Ubuntu.

I think when I started, I dabbled with Fedora very briefly but settled on Gnome and then Unity.

Well this weekend I tried Kubuntu. Wow. I know it’s hard to get excited over operating systems, but KDE is a breath of fresh air I think! I’ve still got the familiarity of Ubuntu/Debaian (i.e. apt, not yum) but the desktop environment is something else. I can kick Cinnamon/MATE to the kerb now and stick with KDE!

Spread the love
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,374

That’s the fun of Linux 😀 My love affair with Cinnamon (or Mint) didn’t last long with virtual machines and I got to like the lightweight stuff like LXDE. Although my current laptop is now more than powerful enough for anything I’ve stuck with them.

The only native Linux desktop I use now is for 1 Pi, the 2 other Pi’s and the AWS server are non GUI. Might be time to look at KDE in a VM again.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,294

I’m not a fan of canonical, so stay away from anything Buntu. However, Debian, Gentoo, Arch etc. all offer much the same (especially when you build from the ground up), but they use different package managers and repositories.

As for desktop, I honestly prefer mine not to get in the way, so I’m a dyed in the wool xfce user.

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,715

Drezha if you like the ‘look’ of KDE, try Bodhi for eye-candy. or browse through these managers for different stripped down window managers. (its advisable to use a vm rather than screw up your main Linux box as some of these can be quite unfriendly.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 1,381

I have been using KDE “Mint” for a few years now as my main workhorse. I tried Kubuntu a few month’s back and it gave me nothing but issues. I can not remember what they were but maybe it’s all fixed now. I am due a fresh install so may give it a hirl again this aft.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 982

I didn’t even realise that Mint had a KDE version. Shows you how much I know!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love