Tech Android Talk Wyliefox Truecaller Carp

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 1 month, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 88 times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 270

I am REALLY annoyed with Wyliefox! They have installed and integrated the Truecaller carp into the telephone app as an Android ‘upgrade’. I do not like Truecaller as it is intrusive and its privacy policy stinks. Has anyone succeeded in removing this rubbish?

I have gone from a supporter of Wyliefox to someone who now would not recommend them.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

WF had TC from day one as it -is- was the dialer app of choice of cyanogen.

Personally, I love TC if it wasn’t a thing, id of changed my number years ago. It filters at least 20 spam calls again. Also, love that it tells me who is calling even if I don’t have them on my phone.

I’d ignore their privacy policy as they already have your details, so you may as well take advantage of their pros. Even if you now opt out, you’re still in the system.

The mobile world is very broken when it comes to privacy matters. A lot of apps will scrape your phone or more to the point people you know phones, for numbers, all these numbers go on the system. So you can be as private as you like, but if just one of your friend’s, acquaintances, or business businesses you deal with, aren’t ‘locked down’ all your info is given away.

Reminds me of some people, including me, that won’t do FB cos of privacy. However, FB knows who we are, your phone number, and probably your address too. Google is another. There is no point hiding. They know who you are.

The app scraping one has always amazed me that it’s legal for one person to agree to share contact info with other people. It’s fundamentally flawed. Though thinking about it, these app requests to ‘search for friends’ seem to of gone away, or im not seeing many these days. Though the horse has already bolted.

Back to TC, great app and service.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 215
    • @grahamdearsley
      Forumite Coins: 72

Really if you have a mobile or any sort of online account (let alone an MS account) THEY know who you are 😁

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg
      Forumite Coins: 137

I have TC on the landline at home. I cannot imagine being without it now.

Luckily I have never suffered from the same issue with my mobile number. I only had a single cold call all of 2017 and can’t remember the one before that. If that changed I would get TC installed.

I’ve found genuine callers have no issue with TC and it’s easy to white list people.

I had the same sort of privacy conversation with my mate coming back from the pub quiz last night. I use Steve’s argument, “they” already know everything about you from your other activities. Don’t like Google reading your emails? Better not send an email to anyone using Google mail servers and apart from gmail.com there’s no way you can tell.

I’ve learned to just accept it, turn everything on and now happily receive smart information from Google. Walk into Schipol airport and it asks if I’d like to download the floor plans and have a look at the eateries. It knows my flight and is just as quick as the airlines app at keeping me updated on times / gates etc. all via pushed messages.

I use Google maps for navigation even though I don’t drive. It is frustrating in the more Germanic countries when the local transport company don’t let Google access their timetables.

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1363
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 270

I don’t care about THEM knowing anything but I do object to commercial apps getting and selling MY data without my permission. Truecaller seems to come with other baggage I don’t want that goes poling around within my storage e.g. a ‘space usage’ analyser. — huh!

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

Disable that in the settings. I must admit that being annoying but it’s easily turned off. Forgot about it actually.

Edit- scrap what i said, i mist of been thinking of another app, i thing hotspot shield maybe, as I can’t see any mention in tc of any on/off memory thing. Also looked through my apps and have no sneaked in memory organiser.

Do you have any screenshots, I’m intrigued

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by The Duke.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1412
    • @bullstuff2
      Forumite Coins: 298

I don’t have a problem with Google or TC and I have a WF Swift, SWMBO a WF Spark. Any company which tries to sell me anything as a result of some other body obtaining my details, will be blocked. My own pet hate is ‘Surveys’ and ‘Recommendations’ – a much more frontal attack upon your details. Amazon have given up on these with me, so have Argos, but every time I buy something from another site, I invariably get an invite to fill in a Survey or Recommend something. In the Trumpers words: “NO!”

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 3
Sawboman, JayCeeDee, tina10
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,319, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm