Forumite

Yahoo messages

HOME Forums Tech Linux Talk Yahoo messages

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles

Probably could be elsewhere, but since I use Linux, a Windoze command offered elsewhere would be no use to me. If you click this:-

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Indiana_English/conversations/messages

You should be taken to the Yahoo groups, sub section “Indiana-English” where I think you can see all the messages without being a logged in member. This group ran from around 2004, but there has been very little activity for 5 or more years.

With all the “getting shut / changes to the Yahoo groups, I imagine these may all disappear. The group is certainly not going to be transferred to somewhere like Groups.io as have all the other Yahoo groups to which I was subscribed. (Cost!, owner not prepared to pay, and there would not be enough interest to share the costs.

I don’t want to lose access to those messages, but other than laboriously opening each one, copying the contents, pasting and moving on to the next one, I don’t know how to do it. I was told there was some software out there, but firstly it costs 25 (can’t remember if that is ££s or $$s) and apparently the maintainer appears not to release the paid for key. And from early December, it will be useless in any event.

I have asked the owner (who has a backup) if he would copy it to DVD or why, but I get no reply to that question.

Can anybody suggest a bulk method, or do I just forget about it all.

Les.

EDIT, it seems you need to log in to see messages. feel free to log in as   manxduke   and use PW     750_Indiana

You need to click on “Conversations” to see the messages.

I will almost certainly be junking the Yahoo account very shortly as there will be nothing there to keep it for.

Les.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Les.. Reason: As indicated
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,087

Nobody got any suggestions. At the moment, ideas are above my pay grade. (and it is nearly 14 years since last pay day).

Les.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 8,707

If you know someone who is versed in Python, BeautifulSoup and pandas it might be possible to parse the index file and download the messages in bulk. I’m sorry I have other commitments (and I’m afraid absolutely  zero interest in Indiana English). All I can suggest is that if you have contact with group members or the moderator that you ask them for ideas on who might be able to help — maybe a contact at Indiana University?

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,087

Edp, I MUST correct you on one important matter. NOT Indiana as over in You Know Where.

DUCATI Indiana – a motorcycle! There was an Italian group, and the owner decided to add an English version as an off shoot. He has no interest in migrating it. No idea if he will migrate the Italian one either, – I suspect not.

A very rare motorcycle, a Ducati intended for the US market (hence the name); A wonderful ‘bike but a total commercial failure. Some were sold off here, some in Australia, some on the Italian home market with not many in the US.

Because of its general layout, I may find it just right when I get too old and infirm to manage the current Ducati (Cagiva actually, but essentially the same).

I have a pal who MAY be able to help. I will try your suggestions on him.

Thanks. Les.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,712

Didn’t one of original Indiana do the salt faults and became very famous?

Or is that Indian sounding bike?

Sorry I no ideas on your issue.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 2,976

Didn’t one of original Indiana do the salt faults and became very famous? Or is that Indian sounding bike?

Are you thinking of The Worlds Fastest Indian?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412080/

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,712

That the one. Think I seen either that or another doc on it about 10 plus years ago.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!