Forumite

Yodel!!!!****

HOME Forums Shopping Other Shopping Yodel!!!!****

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

So I get a message from Yodel, telling me I can track delivery of a parcel today. When I go to Tracking, the driver is pictured as on the way to my previous village. Checking the sender, it is no one I have ever heard of. “Haba”. Then I try to contact the driver: no way to do that. Try to change the delivery: not possible.

So I am waiting for a delivery by Yodel, which is not a deliverer I have had dealings with for about 3 years. From a sender I do not recognise, about an Order I do not recognise and cannot find. Which is going to an address I no longer live at.

I do have outstanding orders, all from Amazon, all traced, all with dates for delivery next week. I have no idea what this delivery is about, or how they came up with my old address. But I am reminded of a similar event a few years ago, when I received a high-value parcel for a chap in North Wales. My own low-value parcel never turned up and I received another item after some haggling with the sender and – guess who – Yodel.

A lesser man would be confused. I am just hoping that no company I place orders with in future, uses Yodel.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,953

Solved. I followed the Tracking map and saw that the driver was just 4 stops away from my old address. Went to my previous lovely next door neighbour’s door and (at social distance) asked her if any Yodel delivery had been to my old door. As we were speaking, a battered white van was slowly driving up the Close, hazards on. Stopped him and asked if he was a Yodel courier and had a parcel for me, showed my ID. He could hardly speak understandable English and was of Middle Eastern appearance, to my mind. Then he struggled to read my driving licence, I showed him that the name on the parcel was the same as on the licence and he gave me the parcel.

The parcel showed my new address in Louth, with the postcode from my old address. :wacko: Now this driver was already confused before he got here: he had been driving through several tiny villages along the Lincolnshire Wolds and was hopelessly lost. I suspect he was a city or large town resident and not at all at home in our rural area. What he did not need was a confusing address label and had obviously been trying to find an address by cruising the area. When I left the Close, his van was blocking the exit and he was waving his arms about in conversation on his phone.

The parcel contained the speaker stands I had ordered from   vidaXL.co.uk   – that is my first order from them and it could possibly be my last! “Haba” is the parent company and vidaXL are an importer based in the Netherlands. If the Yodel Tracker had shown as vidaXL instead of Haba, I would have known exactly what it was. I am left wondering which part of the chain had cocked up my address: I suspect Yodel, because as a new company to me, vidaXL were given my new address, with correct postcode (I checked on their Orders). As I last had Yodel deliveries 3 years ago, they would have had my old address and postcode. How they managed to mix them up, is not a proposition that I intend to tax my brain with. :negative: :scratch:

I'm out.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,216

Yodel are a company that I would love to blacklist, but unfortunately that cannot be done. :-(

I can top your tale in that they managed to deliver my parcel to my No1 son who lives 30 miles away. All probably due to a previous order placed with Amazon as a gift to him but unfortunately delivered by Yodel..

Obviously Yodel has a random person/address correlation in its delivery scheduling system.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Yes Ed, I suspect a corrupted database or a faulty programmer. Not a new experience for me: a few years before Yodel sent me the parcel for the North Wales resident, my widowed neighbour over the Close came to me in a panic: Yodel had dropped a damaged and resealed parcel at her door and made off, no signature asked. I eventually found the real recipient 3 streets away and he was not best pleased to see his expensive Chinese fire screen split in 3 places. He used my statement and my neighbour’s to force Yodel into litigation, paying for a new item and compensation. The recipient was a local restaurant owner, gave us and my SWMBO a very good meal.

Sometimes it really is an Ill Wind! :good:

IME, Yodel and Hermes give very bad service. Parcelforce are not as bad as they were nowadays.

I'm out.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,651

I was expecting a refurbished Hoover, delivered by Yodel Monday morning. Delivery slot allocated. Nothing. Could get no joy so emailed the seller.

They got back in touch with me and said that they would send another if it didn’t arrive by Wednesday.

Tuesday afternoon as I was leaving to take food up to mum it arrived. Delivery bloke barely understood English. Methinks they have lots of temps ATM. :negative:

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,306

Yep, they are crap.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

How on earth do they stay in business, I wonder Nolan?

Speaking to a neighbour at the new home who has had similar experiences. I think their cost cutting by hiring obviously untrained and probably very low-paid drivers, is a sign of a company losing business.

I'm out.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,651

That’s not the worst service I’ve had from them Bob.

A few years back, when I could still cycle a bit I ordered some new tyres for my Fat Bike. £60 each. :cry:

Had a text from Yodel saying they’d been delivered. No, they haven’t. Tried contacting them with no luck as usual.

Happened to be on a ride which took me not far from their depot so I called in to enquire about my missing parcel. ‘No idea Sir’.

On the way out I circled the depot to take another route home and saw my parcel hanging out of the bin! Empty of course. Went straight back in and called the police in front of all the poor schmucks trying to get sense out of the staff.

Because of that a very big cycle/run chain stopped using them and someone was sent down for theft and fraud and someone else was given a very long suspended sentence.

I ended up with my tyres 2 days after calling the police and a refund.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Wow Nolan, that was an eye-opener. My judgement now is to avoid using twice, any company that has Yodel deliveries for their goods, and telling the company why. There is a reason why companies use them: they’re cheaper than others. And there’s a reason why they’re cheaper.

I took particular notice of that confused driver and his battered, dirty van. I got very little sense out of him. If you cannot communicate, you cannot get any sense out of a transaction.

I'm out.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,216

Bob, if you can find a way of specifying ‘not Yodel’ let us know!

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Ed, unfortunately I have to wait until I find the Yodel truck turning up at my door (or someone else’s) before I know which delivery company the seller is using. Then I email the seller and tell them I will not buy from them again whilst they use Yodel. I have now done that 3 times after the only 3 Yodel deliveries I ever had, caused problems.

If everyone did that, they would either change their ways or go bust.

I'm out.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support Forumite

Choose between a one off contribution or a subscription. 

It only Takes a Minute or two.
Lets Go!
close-link