• Yes
  • No
  • Dont be silly Lee
  • Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    The VFM Addict
    @thevfmaddict

Nothing substantial to say yet but I have a very bad feeling that this thread will be needed soon.

We are long overdue for a very serious viral pandemic and the way China are acting I think its already far worse than they are saying.

• This topic was modified 4 months ago by The VFM Addict.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by RSB.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

During the Covid-19 Epidemic I will be wearing a mask and goggles while posting so that if I become infected I won't spread it to you.

Viewing 20 replies - 801 through 820 (of 826 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,216

The tech details for the Covid-19 tracker app being trialled on the IoW can be found here in a very readable blog.

App details

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,653

If the car dealers around here are any judge of the lockdown being slacked off a bit then it’s locking good.

Seat and Skoda have fully re-stocked their showrooms (same group a very short distance apart), Toyota/Lexus seems to be almost fully stocked, Kia/ Hyundai are fully stocked, Jaguar Land Rover are re-stocking, Honda looks like it’s starting to re-stock, Renault/Dacia are busy re-stocking as are the 3 car supermarkets.

All that remains is BMW, MINI (same group, different sites about a mile apart), Mazda, Nissan, MG/Fiat/Chrysler, Ford, Volvo (same group, sites next door to each other and also a HiQ branch) and a few smaller second hand dealers.

Most of the nearby motor factors have been working as usual, some of the chain garages (ATS and the like) have been only doing key worker repairs/ services.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

While our cack-handed incompetent Government struggles to test 100,000 people, the Mayor of Wuhan has just ordered all 11,000,000 people to get tested for covid-19.

link

It isn’t the coughing red-faced person you have to fear but the average person in the street who salivates as they speak. (we have all met them).

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,953

Oh yes Ed I knew two like that in the previous Close, male and a female. My usually reticent wife told the female to change her false teeth! (End of acquaintance, end of problem :yahoo: ) I would walk away from the male, even before the corona virus situation began. Of course now I don’t see either of them after the home move. Bonus!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Beware of loud-mouths!

link

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Wow! Staggering. Thanks for that scary link Ed.

I'm out.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

There was a little bit of Schadenfreude when I noticed that the ‘loud-mouth’ finding was from a US source!

For rather more scary information, if you are a male black/Asian (I guess sub-continent Asian) of any age, check out the findings from this UK NHS study.

At least this makes it politically impossible to lock up ‘people at risk’ as it would decimate the NHS and Care Sectors as well as antagonise a bunch of belligerent male gang-members.

[edit] as an aside my bet is that zinc deficiency plays a big role as typical diets of these groups includes a lot of phytates (beans, lentils, brown rice etc) that lock up zinc. Many are also vegetarian or non-beef eaters, so do not have much zinc input in their diet. I’d also bet that colas (phosphoric acid) lock up zinc as well.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,653

From what I’ve seen in the last few days, and the reports in the local online media, we are going to have a pretty big spike in infection rates soon.

People act like idiots when the sun is out and they’ve had a few drinks.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,748

All those who think a visit to the Peak District or the Lake District might make for a nice ‘day’ trip should think again – that area , along with the North East of England, Brent and Harrow make up the Top Ten in the charts for Covid19 cases per 100,000 population.

They might bring home a souvenir they don’t want.

Info from HERE .

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

I have pleaded on FB for people to not come to our Lincolnshire coast. Or any coast, for that matter. Our infection rate is 1/3rd of the England average and we would like to keep it that way. Deaths are even lower and would be more so if not for Care Home figures. Considering that our population has (I believe) the highest average age in the country, that is surprising, until you take account of the preponderance of rural areas and villages scattered apart. Most people in Louth are wearing face masks, including myself and my Gert, when we are out. Nothing at our resorts, is open: no cafes, rides, attractions. If you don’t bring your own food, you will go hungry. Just don’t die of hunger on our beaches, it leaves another mess for our Council workers to pick up.

I liked this Ed: ” At least this makes it politically impossible to lock up ‘people at risk’ as it would decimate the NHS and Care Sectors as well as antagonise a bunch of belligerent male gang-members.

Three of my consultants are of Asian extraction, including my oncology surgeon and the doctor who phones me on his behalf. My prostate consultant is Spanish. One GP is African, another Afghani, possibly Uzbek. The practice Leader is Malaysian and is a Malay. I have known him for almost 20 years and he is a fine but overworked doctor. When I see the racist ignoramuses (ignorami?) on FB splashing ‘Deport them!’ across the page, I think, have you or your family never been treated by our multicultural NHS? I tell all of those medical people when I see or speak to them, as a last word, “Please stay safe and well, we need you and I personally respect you.” In normal times I always shake their hands.

I'm out.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,306

Weston Super Mare was expecting a deluge that didn’t happen. I think people realised that apart from a couple of ice cream parlours and fish & chips shops (queue outside for takeaway) it’s all shut. Car parks are closed and if you can still get a walk on the beach the toilets are closed so better be quick.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Considering that our population has (I believe) the highest average age in the country, that is surprising, until you take account of the preponderance of rural areas and villages scattered apart.

You’re actually second, behind North Norfolk for over 65’s. :good:   I found THIS ONS chart which made for interesting reading.

Relevant part is :- Figure 7: Coastal areas have a higher proportion of the population who are aged 65 years and over

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by JayCeeDee. Reason: Added detail
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Didn’t know that JCD: should have, as I have stayed in Norfolk Cottages a few times. Pubs and restaurants full of Oldpharts, I felt right at home! Strangely, our stays in Suffolk seemed to have a younger population. East Lindsey, my Lincs region, has a higher index than the rest of Lincs, which is due to Skeggy area and the number of older residents who have Park Homes and caravans. I know of 3 people who moved to Skeg just from my village. Extrapolate that across the East Midlands and South Yorkshire and that gives an idea. Relatively few people I have met since moving here in 2000, are native Lincolnshire “Yellow Bellies”. I have always described myself as a ‘Nottinghamshire Refugee’. There were quite a few elderly retired RAF guys when I first came here, many since flown off to much higher altitudes.

One neighbour we had at first was a native (and a Williams, but probably wrongly named at birth!) and he called all Notts visitors “Chizits”. Because in the shop he used to have in Mablethorpe, they always asked “How much is it?” – Pronounced in Notts speak as “ahmachizit?” As he apparently lost the shop because he spent the profits, I took very little notice of the idiot.

I'm out.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

I didn’t know it either, Bob, just took a walk down Google Lane and came across the ONS site and found that and lots more info like it. :yes:

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

The ONS blogs are an interesting subscription – they cover everything from demographics, through social surveys and covid-19. Not just raw stats, but also a discussion and inferences to be drawn. (sort of stuff they would give a Minister)

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

The tardy announcement by the Government (weeks after other countries) that loss of smell/taste is a marker for covid-19 now convinces me that I caught covid around the 4/5 of February with full-blown symptoms as noted in the forum on February 9th. I lost the sense of taste for sweet/sour things leaving only ‘bitter’ which made tea/coffee taste foul, this was followed by a racking cough that often left me breathless and O2 sats around 90%. In retrospect I think it was only VFM’s encouragement to keep dosing with zinc and my hitting the gut bug aspects with licorice that kept me *safely out of hospital or worse. Of course at that time our inept NIH scientific advisors and Mushroom Matt were still ignoring everything learnt in China, so they lied and stated that all the south coast super-spreader contacts had been traced. As a result I totally dismissed the possibility of covid, and just thought I had another horrible flu. Now though when I add up all the symptoms I had most of them! More by luck than judgement my wife and I isolated for the next week or two.

I obviously do not KNOW that I have had covid, but if it is like the one I had, I strongly advise everyone to try and avoid it. I was still being racked breathless to an involuntary whoop when coughs were triggered by volatiles/pollution/pollen for ten weeks afterwards.

*’safely’ out of hospital as they would have stopped the zinc/licorice/aspirin and used high dose paracetamol which has zero effect on me. At that time there were no approved treatments for covid.

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 7,279

As it happens my brother ended up in the hospital at the backend of November with what is now the COVID symptoms. I said he was daft at the beginning of march thinking that but it was in Paris early December. Makes you wonder why there was a sudden surge 3 months later.

I am positive I have had twice now. The backend of march and now the past week and a half. I was bloody extra bad up to Sunday I think. I am just seeing how it goes for now.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

As it happens my brother ended up in the hospital at the backend of November with what is now the COVID symptoms.

Just about the same time as my Uncle-in Law ( Wife’s Aunt’s partner ). He treated it at home, only going to the doctors in early/mid December, they diagnosed it as severe infected bronchitis ( or some such ) and prescribed steroids and anti-biotics but he didn’t improve until after Christmas. We spoke on the phone not long after New Years Day and he could only get two or three words out before hacking and taking in a deep breath. He called it better, I called it sounding like he was still at Death’s Door!!

I jokingly asked whether he’d been to China recently, as Wuhan was just coming in to the news, – well maybe China came to him, because he did a couple of airport runs for some family members, dropping them off and picking them up from a couple of different airports not long before getting ill in the first place.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Unfortunately all the signs are that Dave was correct a few posts ago and the Government tracking app is the usual Government balls-up. We will see, but today Raff did not give one straight answer when questioned about the app.

I’m also getting more than a little annoyed at the Chief ‘Scientific’ Advisor — Prof Van Tam. His job title should be rewritten as Chief Government Scientific Shill and Cover-Up Boy. He excuses everything with not being able to answer as covid-19 is so new. New it may be, but there is enough research work from China, France, Germany and the US to draw out educated estimates. If Van Tam and other scientific gravy train boys had their way nothing would be done until covid had reaped its full death toll  — viz the Twelve Month long (!) Oxford study into possible covid treatments. I think their funding should be stopped if nothing is published after three months not waiting until twelve months and a new mutation has invalidated everything.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,306

I’ve never quite understood this we’ll learn the lessons after its all over nonsense. If I’m putting Ikea furniture together and continually bash my thumb when nailing the back on I don’t think, I know when it’s allover I’ll compare hits per thumb by furniture type. I think I’d better find a better way to do this or I’ll have no thumb left by the end.

Viewing 20 replies - 801 through 820 (of 826 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support Forumite

Choose between a one off contribution or a subscription. 

It only Takes a Minute or two.
Lets Go!
close-link