• Yes
  • No
  • Dont be silly Lee
  • Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 2The VFM Addict
    @thevfmaddict

Nothing substantial to say yet but I have a very bad feeling that this thread will be needed soon.

We are long overdue for a very serious viral pandemic and the way China are acting I think its already far worse than they are saying.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

During the Covid-19 Epidemic I will be wearing a mask and goggles while posting so that if I become infected I won't spread it to you.

Viewing 16 replies - 1,001 through 1,016 (of 1,016 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 3Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,913

As I understand it there are a few different vaccine approaches being used. I know an elderly female who volunteered for the Oxford trial. She was accepted, and had no issues post the two vaccinations. Of course there was a 50:50 chance she had the placebo, but the Oxford one appears to be less fussy on vaccine candidates.

Incidentally I know that it is the gold standard to use placebos – but why? Surely in a pandemic there are enough candidates who have received no vaccine and catch or do not catch the disease to enable meaningful statistical results – or am I missing something?

Participant
    @edps

Dido Harding – Queen of Chaos and Mismanagement, has been told to self isolate.

Twitter link

Participant
    @edps

I hope that someone is sending the Rozzers/Press around to check whether ‘Sod the Law’ Cummings is adhering to the mandatory self isolation after his sacking by Bojo!

I wouldn’t put it past Carrie to already have that well in hand, given all the trashing she has received care of Cummings in the Mail & Express. B-)

Participant
    @edps

Are you also surprised that whenever Mushroom Matt Hancock is giving the Covid briefing that the up to date data isn’t released until a couple of hours later than usual?

It seems his mushroom gardening habits cannot be put aside, he obviously  delights in keeping us in the dark and feeding us BS! :whistle:

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 7Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 2,027

Coronavirus in your area
    This dashboard shows the number of reported coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in the area you select, as well as the number of people who have had their symptoms assessed over the phone by NHS 111, where coronavirus was suspected.
    https://digital.nhs.uk/dashboards/coronavirus-in-your-area

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Participant
    @edps

Thanks Boris, that is better data than the map of MSOAs, but I do like the map’s timeline as that is useful data on the probable causes. In my area it all centred around the local University  or coincided with the last days of summer vacations (maybe the more infectious Spanish Covid variety). :scratch:

MSOA map

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 7Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 2,027

The Telephone Triages it shows are a new one on me.

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 10Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,532

Rates are soaring here.

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 11JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,634

Rates are soaring here.

They did that here for the last month – a 3 mile zone around us was completely clear on the 12th October, that went to the max up to the 9th November, but daily cases are starting to go down, as is our MSOA rate. This week, almost everything around us for a 10ish mile radius ( well semi-circle because we’re on the coast ), is still max, but that 3 mile zone is starting to ease down. :good:

Participant
    @edps

As Covid infections kick-in 3-9 days after infection and as our ‘world-beating’ :wacko:   test&trace system takes two to three days to give results you can expect a surge in cases from the November 4 parties to appear as a spike between the 9th and 17th before any lock-down effects appear.  Then you need to further adjust as the released MSOA numbers are seven day averages and are 5-7 days in the past. I roughly calculate that today will show the first effects of the lock-down.

Participant
    @edps

The Oxford Vaccine press release contains more data than the slightly confusing Beeb account which plays down the vaccine effectiveness. Reading the original press release you can confidently say that the Oxford dose regime that will be used in the UK will give a 90% effectiveness as only an idiot would use the less effective  higher dosage regime.

I found it interesting that ‘priming the pump’ with a lower dose is more effective. B-)

Participant
    @edps

The Lancet had some interesting information on how long the Covid virus survives in different parts of the human body which may possibly be a partial explanation for the existence of Long Covid.

Although the virus persists for a long time this is not the same as infectivity which was confirmed as only lasting nine days with the peak infectivity during the first week of illness. (slightly different numbers for the first Covid version)

The virus itself however hangs around for a very long time:

a) Nearly three months in the nose and throat.

b) Nearly two months in the lungs

c) Two months in the blood (and one can assume in the major organs such as the brain, heart and liver)

d) Over four months in the guts

Also the older you are (and I assume male vs female) the longer it hits you.

Hopefully no Forumites are suffering from Long Covid, but if you are, being breathless for a couple of months is not unusual.

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 11JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,634

They did that here for the last month – a 3 mile zone around us was completely clear on the 12th October, that went to the max up to the 9th November, but daily cases are starting to go down, as is our MSOA rate. This week, almost everything around us for a 10ish mile radius ( well semi-circle because we’re on the coast ), is still max, but that 3 mile zone is starting to ease down.

One thing you need to be careful of and that is when you focus too closely on the immediate surroundings of your postcode.

While all of the above quoted was true, what I didn’t realise was that we ( Thanet ) are the third highest infection rate in the country!!

But two areas in Kent are now showing significant increases – Swale, with the second highest infection rate of 565 per 100,000 people and Thanet with the third highest rate of 508.
    Swale had earlier overtaken Hull as the worst-hit area in England, with a rate of 631.7 per 100,000 people in the week to 18 November. Figures for the week to 19 November show Hull once again has the highest rate in England, at 568.6 cases per 100,000. The rate has fallen from 743.4 in the week to 9 November.

It just goes to show you need to get the big picture too. I now have an extra four tabs on my Covid 19 browser page!!

Participant
    @edps

Not so good news everywhere this morning.

Not only that most places will apparently be in tier 2, the economic outlook looks dire with nearly 3 million unemployed (double that at least, if BoJo cocks up the Oven Ready Half Baked Brexit deal he lied about), then on top of that, analysis of the Oxford vaccine data appears to show that they cocked up the testing regime. A Wired analysis casts grave doubt on it getting regulatory approval. link

Unfortunately just like Brexit the devil is in the detail. :wacko:

Participant
    @edps

Mushroom Matt speaking at 5pm (ish). Covid Dashboard having technical issues — surprise surprise! :wacko:

Obviously he is a prime example of the Peter Principle – just like Dido Harding a person promoted well beyond their capabilities. Unfortunately that applies to most of this incompetent Government. :-(

Participant
    @edps

More in Gizmodo on the Oxford Vaccine cock-up. A bit worrying really that it looks like little or no QC was done on the UK manufactured batches. :wacko:

Viewing 16 replies - 1,001 through 1,016 (of 1,016 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.