• Yes
  • No
  • Dont be silly Lee
  • Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    The VFM Addict
    @thevfmaddict

Nothing substantial to say yet but I have a very bad feeling that this thread will be needed soon.

We are long overdue for a very serious viral pandemic and the way China are acting I think its already far worse than they are saying.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

During the Covid-19 Epidemic I will be wearing a mask and goggles while posting so that if I become infected I won't spread it to you.

Viewing 20 replies - 1,021 through 1,040 (of 1,057 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 2,157

Yep – The Globe at Alvington, The George at St Briavels, the Rising Sun at Woolaston Common are all a good 5 mile walk from Chepstow

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,804

Cases are dropping rapidly here, hope we’ll be in T2 soon as I could really do with an evening out in different 4 walls. A meal and a pint or two to go with it would be splendid.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 17,429

English forumites may be able to log into a whole lot of additional info (assuming your county authority allows). Try a search on the terms (your) local authority+public health+covid+weekly+dashboard. I have no idea if this will work in the devolved nations. Wales in particular seems to hate giving the power of information to the people. They were obviously well trained by Mushroom Matt!

[edit] btw my local authority uses a nettify.app link for some unknown reason!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Ed P.
    Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,799

I’ve had our local ( Thanet ) on my Covid browser page for the last month,  maybe more. :good:

They’ve done it by putting a cartoon virus ‘globe’ button on their main page and when you click it a dashboard – similar to a dialogue box, appears. Quite slick really.

Participant
    Boris
    @boris

The true Christmas spirit ?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

It looks as though the ‘Spanish’ Covid (Covid-19G) that the teens&twenties brought back from their Spanish holidays is not only more infectious it also appears that it can reinfect those who had the earlier variety of Covid.

Lots of pretty charts showing the evolution of the virus are given here.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

I just read this Beeb report on BAME reluctance to accept a Covid vaccination due to online media reports. Unfortunately I can say that this is very likely all too  true.

My window cleaner was sent a video purporting to have come from a reputable Belgium scientist who appeared to be in his mid 50s, in which the supposed scientist in the video seriously stated that all the vaccines had nano particles in them that reacted with 5G signals and immediately resulted in horrible cancers. I laughed and said that he had been fooled and that he was the recipient of malign crap deliberately sent to harm him. He objected and said the man in the video was a reputable scientist and he had checked out his name. I told him (slight stretch) that I was a scientist and it was all a viscous hoax with not even a bit of truth in it.

I can only think that some people are deliberately targetting BAMEs in a malign attempt at an ethnic purge via Covid. :scratch:

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I can’t believe just how much of it is on Facebook. I always call them out and TBF the posts disappear fairly rapidly when FB catches up. But by then dozens have got involved. People’s willingness to believe conspiracy crap is unbelievable and I always provide a link to a debunk site, which are really easy to find with a simple search. Then you get smarty pants people like Julia Brewer-Hartley who must know they are spreading half truths yet do so anyway.

But it’s all amateurish compared to the gigantic grift that Trump has carefully planned and executed. He must have passed $200m by now and all in a fund he can, quite legally, spend on anything and not the legal fees they purport to be for.

Participant
    Boris
    @boris

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,726

That’s genius, nice find.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Excellent – the wife especially liked the virus coming down on us like snow!!

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Boris is a gutless lying toerag.

Anyone who has read the links in my posts will know that the Covid GV mutation emerged in the UK in September  as the predominant UK strain. The fact that none of the lock-downs has succeeded in curtailing the spread in Kent, and that infection rates were increasing in these areas has also been known for at least a month.

Gutless Bojo could have avoided his ‘Gimp who stole Christmas’ act by a full lock down for three weeks at the start of December. Instead he procrastinated and then Blaired the truth by implying that the necessary data has only emerged in the last few days. Had he also mandated the compulsory wearing of face-masks when outside the home we might even have avoided this mess and unnecessary early deaths.

Now many of us will have a lonely Christmas :cry: and too much leftover turkey. I think a trip to the font of Ben Bracken to drown my sorrows  is required! :cry:

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,726

Wales is also in tier 4 from midnight.

It’s a right pain in the arse but I can (under the Welsh rules) at least go and see my mum and her fella as I’m single and they are my support ‘bubble’ . No one else has been in their house for many months and they are staying withing the property boundaries as of now.

Also Christmas can still happen but on a much reduced scale.

I do feel for those that planned for the rules as they were, only to have that all ruined.

What really hurts me and mum is it’s almost a year since we saw my brother and his kids. That’s a long time when they are both still young enough to want to do things with you and not want to sit in a bedroom watching Netflix/YouTube/ whatever.  :-( :cry:

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Tier 3 doesn’t look so bad now. However we are an island in a Tier 2 region which is ridiculous. Bristol has the hospitals, we have the shopping mall, so never mind the exchange of workers each morning there’s a massive movement of people every day. There’s s strip of South Wales that a dormitory area for greater Bristol too. We should all be in the same Tier.

Lots of pubs and restaurants in the newly released Tier 2 areas haven’t reopened. My mate is the manager at the Legion and he said they cannot plan properly as the rules change at the drop of a hat. They’re not going to risk buying a lot of beer only to have to chuck it down the drain in 2 weeks time, never mind working out how to deal with the meal rules. They have written off this year and probably the first quarter of next.

A bit more light relief  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPDkCOJO3pc

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

I felt that previously we were ticking along reasonably in tier 3, albeit with numbers on the increase. Thanet was third at that time in Kent, Sussex and Surrey local authorities, but is now 12th and holding numbers steady, but we will now go into tier 4 – we’re effectively stuffed back in lockdown and can’t, it seems even mix with other tier 4’s. What a total bollox-up of the whole situation. It seems to be that Boris is trying to prevent a Post-Thanksgiving-like disaster, that is descending on the States at the moment.

I’ve got a friend who’s 83 and is booked in for the jab on Wednesday next week. Let’s hope we follow soon, because that is going to be our main line of defence in the coming days.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Sorry to say this, but if you believe the speculation in The Guardian, Tier 4 restrictions are likely to be with us for months. :cry:

Imo our broken Track and Don’t Trace system is going about this all wrong. If you study the MSOA data at a detailed level, you can find areas that have very little commuting/interaction with their neighbours but despite this, they have rapidly moved into the purple of the highest infection rates. Coleford in Gloucestershire is one such area. In my mind this is indicative of just a few super-spreaders moving into the area and infecting everyone. (This seems to coincide with a time-line of students returning from college)

Although it is too late to stop this, we should be blitzing these areas with Track&Trace people backtracking to identify the super-spreaders and see if they have common attributes that can be identified. If they can, then we should be giving the highest priority to vaccinating such individuals (vaccinate or face internment!).

Participant
    Boris
    @boris

Being a FoD local, I know that the Coleford spike is in a care home there (my cousin lives next to it). Initially 40-ish cases, it was apparently brought in by one of the staff, even though they are tested at least weekly.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Thanks Boris, as a lapsed Freeminer (To my father’s irritation, I never applied for the year and a day ‘gale’ right) I know the area well but haven’t lived there for over fifty years.

For the reasons you state it does not really make my point, even though how one person infected 40+ in a week or so needs investigating. Perhaps other similar cases such as the relatively isolated village of Pebworth in Worcestershire that went from nothing to 69 cases in a week would be a better example for detailed back-tracking.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,810

Sadly I’m in tier 4, and can’t see me working till Easter. And if we don’t open by then, the business is over. I’m over it now, come to terms with it. 2nd of April is first bank hol, if we miss it we are finished .

Cheers mate drakeford 👍

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

It looks as though Germany’s success in handling the first wave of the virus may have been a curse rather than a blessing now that they are struggling under the Second Wave.

According to Der Spiegel there are real concerns that they will not get enough vaccine and it will arrive too late in the Covid season:

“The EU and Berlin have insisted there will be sufficient vaccine available, but delays in signing purchasing contracts mean that the elixir will arrive late and there might not be enough. The EU even declined an option that would have allowed for the purchase of hundreds of millions of extra doses.

“The EU and Berlin have insisted there will be sufficient vaccine available, but delays in signing purchasing contracts mean that the elixir will arrive late and there might not be enough. The EU even declined an option that would have allowed for the purchase of hundreds of millions of extra doses. ”

“Initially, Germany’s health minister has announced, there will probably only be 400,000 vaccine doses for Germany, with another 11 to 13 million to follow by March — a fraction of the amount the Americans (and British) are getting.”

Viewing 20 replies - 1,021 through 1,040 (of 1,057 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.