Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19

Group Admins

Products in short supply.

• Creator
    Topic
    Keymaster
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 2RSB
    @bdthree

Got me a bread maker today… One less thing I need to leave house for. How ever, guess what.

Can not get strong bread flour anywhere online with out paying through the nose.

Yeast “Nope” not where I shop anyhow.

Breadmix “Nope”

Milk powder “Nope” Asda sold out anyhow.

Toilet roll “Nope” Asda online. Not an issue, shop at top of street has 12 for £3 ish “Quilted” :)

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 3Mark Turner
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 574

My misses went to Lidl on Saturday there was a woman with a trolley full of toilet rolls when she got to the checkout the operator said she hasn’t seen anything like it people just buying toilet rolls and kitchen rolls and not food which she thought was odd as if your going to hole up for a few weeks food would be a priority. We nipped in tonight no toilet rolls no kitchen rolls and lucky for us there was one pack of pasta on the shelf which was all we needed for tea there was no rice  to be seen just an empty shelf  but we didn’t need that anyway. Our local shop has its full stock of toilet rolls, kitchen rolls and dried goods. I can’t see pasta and toilet roll or pasta and kitchen towel making a tasty meal 😆

Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 7,339

What’s even better is tinned currys “Asda Online” nearly sold out, in a toilet roll chrisis 😂 And I aint making this up!

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 5Les.
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,714

Other than the woman in the pharmacy last week asking (in vain) for hand sanitiser, no shortages over here apart from a bit of a toilet roll run last Friday night according to my pal. Plenty of Manx flour available, normal and self raising, strong white bread flour, and a choice of wholemeal bread flours. We have an extra bag of both the bread flours, as we have made all our own for the last dozen years. Far better than anything in the shops.

Les.

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 6Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,276

IPA is no longer easy to get on Amazon. Strangely, simple face masks no longer seem as hard to get – obviously China is getting back to work!

If strong bread flour is out of stock, try the more esoteric flours. I was in Holland & Barrett this morning getting dried fruit and their shelves had a lot of the (more expensive) odd-ball bread flours. I personally quite like chick pea flour (gram flour) as it makes some interesting snack breads e.g. Gram Bread plus Roti John. When the wife was away I used to live on this in Singapore. Try an Asian or Indian/Bangladeshi store and they will probably have gram flour.

(I knew the girl in the video, but she was much younger and helping her mum)

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 7Ed P.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 7Ed P.
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

I actualy got some strong flour and some yeast not 2 minutes ago delivered from primenow. Ordered it first thing this morning before anyone else got in. Belly Pork supplied also so all is good.

Participant
    @edps

Still worth trying the Roti John recipe one day but use real bread/baguettes per the actual recipe. Strongly ecommended.

In Singapore there was also a Buddhist/vegetarian option for the recipe using soya mince instead  of beef/lamb mince and chick pea water/gram flour instead of eggs (I do not recommend substituting for the eggs in an omelette type recipe, but it may impress a vegetarian daughter).

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 11PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,667

I went shopping this afternoon, just for my usual stuff to keep in the cupboard for when my maladies make cooking a literal pain. Things like microwave rice, tinned spuds and sweetcorn, baked beans and also soups. And some part baked french sticks.

It was like the apocalypse had already  happened as there were empty shelves and people wandering around as if in a daze. A very very large couple literally had a trolley full of biscuits and crisps, the massive trolley which you can get a a 5 a side team in.

I was glad to get out of there as the dumb arse behaviour was winding me up, another couple I saw were buying lots of chilled ready meals, easily enough for a family of 4 for a fortnight, most of them have a use by date of 3 days at best.  so they are either going to get very fat, ill or waste a load of food. 🙄

If the worst happens I can survive on one meal a day, won’t be fun but I’ve done it in the past.

Keymaster
    @bdthree

@planeman So did you manage to get what you wanted?

Participant
    @planeman

What I needed, yes, not exactly what I wanted.

Only Heinz tomato sauce left, I prefer the low salt/sugar Asda one, just stuff like that. No big deal, just a minor PINTA.

I’m lucky, mum is about 2 miles away and always, always, has loads of stuff in the pantry if I get desperate. (Yes, it’s a proper, bloody cold, pantry)

Keymaster
    @bdthree

I have been stocking up for a while now. Atleast 100 odd tinned meals in the cupboard including “20 odd tins of asda chiken meatballs”  :) Also got a fair few tins of tinned meat, asda own, for example spam on the cheap is asda’s pork and ham. Pleanty of potted meat etc… for sandwhiches and a enough bread making gear to last a month or so. Just need to add to the fresh meat I have been putting in the freezer and I am done for a few month. :) Not sure if we’ll see a shortage on beer? Worrying times.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 15RSB.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 15RSB.

Participant
    @edps

Beer making kits – that was all the rage in the 70s and if visiting a friend you could count on a very convivial night — especially when it reached the stage that raisin wine became mistaken for brown ale!

Start this week and you should have a fair old store of home made hooch put by for the peak end May/June period

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 18Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,988

I already blew my top on FB about the toilet roll stupidity, but here goes.

Due to more than one medical condition, I can get through up to 8 rolls every week. Normally at Morrisons, I buy two packs of “Comfy Bum” – their plain white, Quilted 4 roll packs. This week they were all gone, so was every other pack except the expensive “Shea” peach coloured stuff. I bought two of those and a woman approaching the same aisle said to her husband “There aren’t any left, there were plenty yesterday!” Well I was already in p****d off Mode, so that set me off.

“How many did you buy yesterday then?” I asked  –   “Oh we filled a trolley!”  (and appeared proud of that particular act of insanity)

“Why? They are not stopping either manufacture or supply of the stuff. What is wrong with people like you?” Her hubby just stood there mute, which considering the size of his dragon seemed the right option. Dragons, even large overweight sweaty ones, do not worry me at all.

“Well you have enough, you have two packs!” – to me. I proceeded to lecture the dimwitted harridan about my medical needs, then asked her to go home, pile her collection of bog rolls in the garden, set fire to them and jump on the blaze. They left. I got one of those SWMBO looks – “You make friends wherever we go, don’t you?”

We went down to the Co Op, where we don’t often shop as it’s more expensive, we needed some white rolls for SWMBO as her favourites had already been sold out at Morrisons. They had plenty of toilet rolls, because the manager had allowed two packs of 4, or one of 9, to each customer. This whole hoarding affair, which is what it is, is just plain stupid. People are like sheep: one panics and they all follow. As I heard from another shopper, about my age; “What if we Brits had panicked like this in 1939?”

KEEP CALM AND STOP HOARDING is my message to this country.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Keymaster
    @bdthree

Just been speaking to my mother and she was saying no soap, no toilet roll, no pasta and loads of empty shelfs.

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 20Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,334

I need a dust mask as to finish off the sound system job (we have to cut 3 x 270 mm holes in a ceiling). Not one to be had at trade counters anywhere in Bristol. We can probably attack it from above, but what a PITA this all is.

I’m trying to get jobs moved forward by the customers as I don’t think it’ll be long before everything dries up. Already CCTV camera shipments from China have been much reduced. Those with big bank accounts are soaking up stock from the distributors.

There’s going to be a lot of businesses going bust. I’ve already heard of “accounts dept closed due to corona virus, so no invoices being paid”. I’ll bet they’re not using that excuse to the landlords and utilities suppliers.

In that light what help are we going to get? Eff all I expect.

Keymaster
    @bdthree

@ricedg I still have the masked I mentioned but there a 50pk. £17 plus postage. There not corona virus recomended. However they should much cheaper on Amazon.

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 20Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,334

I’m not hugely worried, it’s just to keep the dust out of your mouth and nose if you have to look up when cutting. We should be able to go downwards and if not it’s bandanna time.

Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 23

Participant
    @planeman

My usual ASDA had a re supply of some stuff this morning, including bog rolls. Loads of their own brand stuff and some of the posher brands.

Still not good enough for some though, moaning that ‘their’ brand wasn’t available. FFS

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 18Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,988

Some great comments on FB. One from my nephew pictures a massive pile of bog rolls, with the caption “This week’s EuroMillions Jackpot!”

My trucky grandson-in-law is currently telling other Truckies where he finds places with stocks of anything, on his routes. One comes back to say he has thousands of bog rolls on his load, but not saying his destination until unloaded. Doesn’t want to be hijacked!

KEEP CALM AND PRAY FOR CONSTIPATION! 😆😊

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Keymaster
    @bdthree

I have heard today in the aldi near me they was actual fighting over supper noodles. The mind boggles!

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 3Mark Turner
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 574

A bloke in London got mugged for his toilet rolls as he walked out the shop. Things are getting a bit mad in London.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.