Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19

Group Admins

Products in short supply.

• Creator
    Topic
    Keymaster
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 2RSB
    @bdthree

Got me a bread maker today… One less thing I need to leave house for. How ever, guess what.

Can not get strong bread flour anywhere online with out paying through the nose.

Yeast “Nope” not where I shop anyhow.

Breadmix “Nope”

Milk powder “Nope” Asda sold out anyhow.

Toilet roll “Nope” Asda online. Not an issue, shop at top of street has 12 for £3 ish “Quilted” :)

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 3PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,212

Today things were a bit better.

It could well be that the major supermarkets have cut their opening hours to allow more time for shelf stacking, better re-supply, or both.

It was noticeable that ASDA had a lot more staff on duty both on checkouts and wandering around watching people. Sadly no extra staff in the car park collecting trolleys or telling lazy feckwits without blue badges parking in disabled bays to bugger off!

The trolley size is a big issue for me, the small ones with lower handles work great, I can put my crutches in it and scoot around mostly supporting my body weight on it. The bigger, deep ones are a literal pain, have to half hobble and scoot. It gets very tiring, annoying and painful very quickly. Getting stuff out is another issue.

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,458

I have enough bog roll for a while now. Son and daughter each bought us a 9-pack and more on the way. Apparently our fireball daughter took a 9 pack from a trolley heaped with them as she passed the trolley. Shopper did not even notice, yakking away to another moron with a heaped trolley. Perhaps lucky that the shopper didn’t notice, our dd has a wicked tongue and a choice vocabulary. We feel blessed with our family, all on a rota to bring us what we need whenever. They drop it at the door of course, although today our son and grandson came to take down my shed. Completely removed it, tied it down on son’s trailer and it’s off to extend one of his sheds, in which he will put some second hand freezers he has cleaned, tested and set up. Then he will order meat and other food in quantity. He is  a leccy, so will wire up the whole thing himself. If Lincolnshire has a brown-out, you know what’s behind it!

We will have to go out tomorrow to sign up for the new apartment, so will do a shop somewhere in Louth as well, dependent upon stock.

Does anyone else think that Boris is handling this really well? I have the feeling that he is coming into his own as a PM, taking the right steps at the right time. Some idiot on FB was blaming him for cuts and foodbanks, saying that Corbyn would have done it better. No, sunshine, he would not. The cuts were introduced by Cameron’s government and the prime mover was Ian Drunken Smith. FB is full of crap like that.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 7,650

I agree bob. Although I have never had issues with boris. But one thing for sure I can not stand that bar stewerd cummins. Corbyn is just a blithering idot as far as I am concerned.

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 6Mark Turner
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 758

I like Boris but he’s stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea damned if he does damned if he doesn’t. He just happens to be the leader of our country when the sh!t hit the fan a situation no fault of his own. I’d much rather Boris at the helm than ꓘomrad Corbyn. You still get people in the comments sections of articles blaming Brexit  and like Bob said Corbyn would of done a better job

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 7JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,342

But one thing for sure I can not stand that bar stewerd cummins.

First time I saw him strolling along Downing Street, I thought he was a window cleaner!!! For somebody at the levers of power, he’s certainly a scruffy get!!🤔

We’re off to Tesco at 6am tomorrow,  later on today, to get eggs bread, fruit and perishables. We qualify for the 9am oaps etc, but have had reports of limited availability,even at 3 hours after opening time, so we’ll check it out and alter the schedule as required.

We bought a small ( 142L ) chest freezer three weeks ago and stocked it with the equivalent of a couple of weeks shopping, nothing we wouldn’t normally buy, unlike the guy in front of us in Aldi who had £156 of canned goods – and with Aldi’s prices, that’s some going!! That won’t need a top-up until early next week.

We’ve doubled up on our prescriptions to cover any shortfall, and we’re looking to go on their delivery round. They’re saying that they are full up and not taking any mor for now, but I reckon we’ll get a letter from the surgery soon that may offer it to us. We’ll see. We’re not self isolating, but when we go out for beach walks etc it’s just the two of us, keeping well apart from others.

If ever we need to sleep in separate rooms ( hopefully never necessary ) I’ve told the wife I’ll consider that as anti-social separation!!!

I don’t like Boris, and never have, but he has gone up in my estimation at how he’s dealt with it all, albeit a bit late on some things – it doesn’t do to say you’re not closing schools on the Monday/Tuesday broadcasts, so as to avoid early boredom syndrome, and then announce on Thursday, the schools will shut to all bar priority workers kids on Friday!!

PPE has been the subject of very placatory messages to all ( NHS and Public ) when a friend who runs a Private hospital had to threaten withholding access to their beds before they got promised a next day delivery on masks, etc.

Ventilators, I’m expecting to be impressed, later on this week, when the first batch of engineering samples are submitted for testing.🤞

Keymaster
    @bdthree

I was going to get an other freezer afew days ago but I thought 4 was going over the top :). Like you JC I got a little 142l one not so long ago. I also have two old fridge freezers. One Large and One Small. I sometimes forget there is only me here now. The big fridge freezers been off for a while untill all this mayhem started. All three are packed to the rafters as are the cupboards. However this as nothing to really do with the virus. I started filling the cupboards and freezers well before christmas just incase I had a few bad months. And guess what! :)

Participant
    @jayceedee

I started filling the cupboards and freezers well before christmas just incase I had a few bad months. And guess what! 🙂

Right stance – wrong reason!! Still – it left you prepared for whatever comes!!👍👍

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 10Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,259

I’ll give incompetent Boris his due, he has delegated all the decision making to his scientific advisors. I’m less certain about that lot as they apparently initially supported Dominic Cumming’s ‘cull’ strategy, and ignored the work that Imperial College had done. As a result we are seven weeks behind where we could have been on protective clothing for medics and carers, and the same on test kits and ICU equipment. They have completely failed to learn the lessons from Korea and Singapore. Testing, tracking and enforced quarantine are the key elements. I’ll believe they are starting to learn their lessons when they ask everyone to install a *pandemic tracker on their phone.

*App uses Bluetooth to interrogate nearby phones and stores phone id+date. If phone user then gets covid-19 it is easy to track down and test all contacts, also easy to find out where phone user picked up the virus. OK it does not cover the issue of dirty door handles etc but that could be handled by separate procedures

Participant
    @jayceedee

We’re off to Tesco at 6am tomorrow,  later on today, to get eggs bread, fruit and perishables. We qualify for the 9am oaps etc, but have had reports of limited availability,even at 3 hours after opening time, so we’ll check it out and alter the schedule as required.

I’ve just got back from my first civilised, non-frustrating, successful shop ( well 95% of it any way because I forgot the list!!!) Doh!! Got there about 6.30 and there was stock on the shelves.😃

It wasn’t arduous at all, I just put my mind back in ‘flower-market mode’ and got my a*se out of bed at 5.30!! I may well have a sleep in the armchair later.

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 12Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,058

New laptops are very hard to get and have shot up in price. Refurbished don’t seem to be joining in the make-a-quick-buck brigade.

New shipments not expected until end of April – mid May for most makes.

Participant
    @planeman

I went to Aldi this morning for some bits for mum and myself.

What a difference to before the lockdown notice.

Big board outside explaining the way the shop works now. Only 30 customers at a time, no more than 1 kid per adult, 2 meter distance at all times from everybody else and some others I can’t recall now. Grids all over the floors in 2 meter squares.

I had too tell 2 people to back off from me as they wanted what I was looking at, they soon moved. 😀

Shelves were well stocked compared to what they have been like.

Participant
    @edps

MOT test centres.  Many are part and parcel of car showrooms which the Government has shuttered. Check if your MOT is due to expire in the next three months and see if you have any other options.

Just one of the little details that HMG overlooked. I suspect that there are a lot of others that have also been forgotten.

Participant
    @jayceedee

I emailed the BBC earlier about this. My local dealership emailed me saying they were closing, but my service is due and the MoT middle of next month. Some bits they just haven’t catered for!!

Hi,
    With the current lockdown situation in the UK, what do I do about my car. I’m 68 and use it for shopping. I’ve had an email from the dealership saying they’re closing the dealerships sales and service departments.
    The MoT runs out in mid April. How will I get this renewed??
    Are garages/MoT stations even considered essential?? Can/will the Police turn a blind eye??

It’s cropping up on their bulletins now.

Participant
    @edps

We have an extra six months which should see us through one lock down, then book a quick MOT before the next lock down!

Participant
    @jayceedee

Also I’ve only got another month left on my after sale warranty – I need to get in touch with them to see if the will honour/extend if the dealership stays closed!!

Participant
    @planeman

JCD, some of the dealerships near me are technically closed but they will do repairs/ MOT/ maintenance for people like NHS , Fire, Police, carers and the like.

Worth asking them.

Keymaster
    @bdthree

This subject pisses me off. My Dad is having to keep his garage open as the company will not let them shut even though it’s absolutely dead and there is now no rush for M.O.T’s.

Participant
    @planeman

I managed to order some latex gloves from the nearest B and Q at about 4 am this morning, about 3 miles down a national speed limit dual carriageway.

A bit odd as they were on the first day of click and collect orders only and no physical contact at all between staff and customers.

Everything was done in the car park.

Once the staff got their heads around how it was going to work they were brilliant.

Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 21

Participant
    Coronavirus, Corona Virus, Covid-19 12Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,058

There’s a lot of that going on. The thing is they could furlow them at 80% pay but many employers just can’t be arsed with the paperwork.

I know of quite a few people who are being shabbily treated and the banks are up to their old tricks. When we come out of this there are going to be a lot of casualties and it isn’t going to be the establishment. BoJo may be keeping his ratings up for now, but if HMRC and the banks fail to deliver in time and people start going hungry and homeless it will be different.

Participant
    @planeman

Sadly you’re right Dave.

I know of one person, a true master of redoing knackered parquet flooring, also incredibly good at any kind of carpentry and general D.I.Y. He’s literally saved the legion thousands over the years by re-doing the skittle alley and other bits for expenses and a few pints.

Just had about £300,000 of work cancelled. The bank that has his business account has threatened to close his account, no reason at all. Pay 5% interest on a non existent loan and carry a normal. Tits.

He’s not that worried right now, his wife has the sensible head and saves lots of £. He knows the work will always be there, might take a little longer to come back though.

Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.