Forumite

The Beer Club

Group Admins
  • Profile picture of RSB

Bishops Finger

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Dave Rice 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

I have had my eye on it for a while but avoided it as it is a bit strong @ 5.7. However I am just trying one as type and it dangerously tasty ?

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 4,504

I know what you mean.

I really like it but it’s very easy to get a bit pissed on them.

I have one or 2 about every other week.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,373

It’s good stuff.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,403

It IS a good drink.

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,499

Yes my lads generally get me some at Christmas – too strong for chugging but a very nice “one or two” beer.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 1,902

Having a spitfire by the same brewery as the bishops finger while listening to the football. Not as strong but just as nice. Going to try a fursty ferret soon and maybe a ghostship 🙂

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 4,504

They are all nice

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

My Belgian beer turned up yesterday, tried a Vedett IPA (you can get this in Tesco now). Very nice if you like Belgian Blondes, like a cross between Duvel and Leffe and at 5.5% not as strong as either. I will be getting more of this.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,499

Probably not my cup of tea Dave as I don’t like Leffe and the like. I do remember having some pleasant dark Belgian beers at the harbour in Ostend a good few years ago – washed some mussels down very nicely. They were small glasses but very strong so just as well.

Off topic I notice all the “craft beers” in tescos (loads now) are all in 330ml cans with very different branding/labels to to the more traditional beer or lager. Probably deliberate…..not liking the whole affair to be honest.

[Edited – Ostend not Bruges]

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

330ml is the European standard measure and I’ve got to like it now I can’t do the whole session thing. The days of loads of volume are gone for me.

Belgian beers cover a multitude of styles. Blonde (as in Duvel) are probably what we think of but they do Bruin versions as well which are more like ales and Dubbel and Tripel which are often brown as well. Trappist beers can be all 3 styles.

Then there’s Saison which is a sort of sour version of Blonde but not sour as in lemons, more not sweet. Wheat beers I think we know all about, but Belgian ones are usually white and have some sort of subtle orange peel background going on. Fruit beers are a class of themselves and the Lambic Kirk (cherry) are actually very good and not some sort of girly summer job.

The clue is often in the glass they’re served in – there really is a reason for the shapes. Blondes are served in “tulip” glasses as they are meant to have a deep head and the tulip shape holds the head in. “Chalice” glasses are for beers where the aroma is part of the experience and lots of the dubbels and Trappists are served in them too. Wheat and fruit beers are usually in straight up and down glasses.

All sounds terribly geeky but there are so many Belgian beers it’s a misnomer to think they are all the same. They are very different and the Belgians do take it seriously, but in that tongue in cheek way they have. They all love their local breweries and they all try to be a bit different, a culture we are getting used to but we have to call it “Craft”.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image